Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mazda MX5-RF

Options
  • 23-03-2016 10:58am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭

hZfl7U2.jpg

Folding hardtop "fastback" MX5. Looks great, seemingly there's no change in the engines with a 1.5 129bhp or a 2.0 158bhp being the only options. I'd love to have a drive in one to see what the fuss is about! What do you all make of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,285 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

It looks very pretty, and that 185bhp in a car that light would put the heart crossways on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I really like it's design and I sow one on that massive car trailer so obviously someone buy at least one in Ireland, but the engine is a let down. 1.5 129hp is just way less then I expected. We will never see 2.0 versions here.

They had mk2 couple concept back in the day which looked awesome. Its a shame they never did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

If they did a coupe with a bit more power and an lsd I think it would sell very well. It's a good looking motor but does seem under powered. I know that was fine in the original mx5 but it's put on a bit of weight since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

Nice!
    Almost like the MX5 NA/NB with fastback hardtop

DSC00870_Gallery.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Asmooh wrote: »
    Nice!

DSC00870_Gallery.jpg

No. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

Asmooh wrote: »
    Nice!
    Awful looking contraption...

New one looks pretty sweet though. But as SH said, engines are a let down...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

vintagevrs wrote: »
    If they did a coupe with a bit more power and an lsd I think it would sell very well. It's a good looking motor but does seem under powered. I know that was fine in the original mx5 but it's put on a bit of weight since then.

apparently this Mk4 is around the sme weihg as the oriignal Mk1, about 1000KG, all the reviews are mental, most say the 130 BHP is load to play round with as you can use 100% of it all the time, if your looking at 0-60 times your missing the point

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

Now that's a nice car alright, me wants!!...

Actually me wants the same but with seats at the back... which would most likely ruin the thing, in every way :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I know that was fine in the original mx5 but it's put on a bit of weight since then.
    AFAIK every generation of the MX-5 has weighed in at about the same as the previous one, sometimes slightly less, despite having more toys on board. The Mazda engineers are pretty anal about it all, shaving off grams here and there to make up for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

105bhp ~1600kg fwd TDI tugboat = awesome car, what a driving machine
    130bhp ~1000kg rwd mx5 = a bit lardy and underpowered

Is there anything to be said for another mass?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

But the torque of the diesel, My Lord!

I just assumed it weighed a whole lot more than the first generation as it looks bulkier and that's the way of things these days. I see now it's practically the same weight which is impressive considering all the extra safety stuff required now compared to back then.

I never mentioned 0-60 times. I still think it needs more than 130bhp to be enjoyed. Using a 100% of the engines ability, all the time doesn't sound like fun to me, but each to their own.

grogi wrote: »
    But the torque of the diesel, My Lord!
    And they're so quiet and refined and environmental! :pac:

Here ye go boys, careful don't damage yer goods when ye get a load of this.
    http://www.adverts.ie/car/toyota/mr2/1993-toyota-mr2-for-sale/2673987

And they're so quiet and refined and environmental! :pac:

Here ye go boys, careful don't damage yer goods when ye get a load of this.
    http://www.adverts.ie/car/toyota/mr2/1993-toyota-mr2-for-sale/2673987

I see MR2 there, I am not gonna open it as I know well what it is!

What is wrong with some people!

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

I still think it needs more than 130bhp to be enjoyed. Using a 100% of the engines ability, all the time doesn't sound like fun to me, but each to their own.

You really don't need more than that to enjoy it

I had a Mark 1 V Special around 10 years ago, it was 15 years old at that stage and it was one of the most fun cars I have ever owned
    The handling was superb and even though the engine felt like it had been kicked in the nuts if you turned the aircon on it was still a bundle of fun

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I never mentioned 0-60 times. I still think it needs more than 130bhp to be enjoyed.
    It doesn't.
    Using a 100% of the engines ability, all the time doesn't sound like fun to me, but each to their own.
    You don't need to really, but it is fun, believe me.

I would never do such a comparison, but I will still say that new mx5 is under powered.

I owned mk2 1.8 with 140hp, which was not that bad and I still loved car to bits, but you always, always wanted it to be just a bit more powerful.

Its disappointing that with all technology and all newer things out there, they decided to put only 130hp engine in to it. To its defence - yes, it is the cheaper version of mx5 like we had 1.6 versions. The crap thing is, we will never see the proper 2.0 versions here. Even then 2.0 is only 158hp. BRZ still did 200hp out of 2.0.

Its still a fantastic looking car and as much as I love mx5s, I would still go for BRZ or toyota. I know some people will jump in and say: you comparing coupe to cabrio. You are right, but for me mx5 selling point is not cabrio. I want a light, small RWD car, it being cabrio is a nice extra, that I couldn't use most of the year in Ireland anyway.

You are right, but for me mx5 selling point is not cabrio. I want a light, small RWD car, it being cabrio is a nice extra, that I couldn't use most of the year in Ireland anyway.

you can use the cabrio all year round you just need to dress for the occasion & turn up the heat !

Notch000 wrote: »
    you can use the cabrio all year round you just need to dress for the occasion & turn up the heat !

You can drop a heavy book on your testicle all year every day too, but in both situations it's not much fun. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Anyone know what the Mazda Ireland press car is?

• Advertisement

Hmmm, the low power model is the most powerful it has ever been and the "normal" power version is a little less powerful than it has ever been. (CO2 is baaaaad, wooooooooo scary... ahem, sorry, drifted off topic there ;-) )

It has been a winning formula with them for many years, I don't see the current version throwing that away with these specs. To me they were always more about "driving feel" than out and out performance. A throwback to old school roadsters that were not necessarily all that powerful either.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It has been a winning formula with them for many years, I don't see the current version throwing that away with these specs. To me they were always more about "driving feel" than out and out performance. A throwback to old school roadsters that were not necessarily all that powerful either.

The kind of person who would have bought an MGB back in the day, would now get an MX5.

I do feel that it is underpowered in this day and age, and I wonder how much it would take away from the "driving feel" for it to have 150bhp base model, and a 2.0 200bhp upper.

I agree, don't see why an extra 50 horses is a bad thing if it adds no weight.

i have a mk2 1.8 140bhp & regurarilty drve a Mg midget 1500 which has im guessing around 70bhp and both are a similar experience to drive,
    so speaking from expierience you dont need 100 / 200 / 300 bhp to have fun in. I guees most people are thinking here that 130 bhp is what an average passat golf / a4 has these days but are forgetting that these are tug boats by comparison to a sharp handliing RWD, lighweight roadster

Notch000 wrote: »
    i have a mk2 1.8 140bhp & regurarilty drve a Mg midget 1500 which has im guessing around 70bhp and both are a similar experience to drive,
    so speaking from expierience you dont need 100 / 200 / 300 bhp to have fun in. I guees most people are thinking here that 130 bhp is what an average passat golf / a4 has these days but are forgetting that these are tug boats by comparison to a sharp handliing RWD, lighweight roadster

As I said before: I owned for about 4 years 1.8 mk2 and it's still one of the most fun cars i owned. I had 400hp skyline and 225hp Impreza. From those 3 I still think mx5 was most fun, but I could see it being even more fun with extra 30-50hp.

I still don't understand why that tdi is still being thrown in here. If what, roadster still should have more hp then family car. When you buying a roadster, you expect extra on car ment for speed and fun. And yes, 130hp will feel different in roadster and family saloon, but it's still underwhelming.

As fun and good balanced car mx5 is, there is a reason, why it has such a big performance parts market out there. I am not even saying about a very popular upgrade of V8, turbo or supercharger.

Take my opinion for what's it's worth, but I think that mazda missed opportunity on new mx5 with engine selection.

im sure there was good reason to why they decided to stick to 130bhp & no messing wiht forced induction etc after 25 yrs of making them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

hZfl7U2.jpg

Folding hardtop "fastback" MX5. Looks great, seemingly there's no change in the engines with a 1.5 129bhp or a 2.0 158bhp being the only options. I'd love to have a drive in one to see what the fuss is about! What do you all make of it?

looks like mazda copied an old bmw z4 ,the lazy barstewards:o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

130bhp is pretty poor for a 1.5 these days. Honda was getting that out of a 1.5 back in the mid 90's.

It still should be adequate enough though but what a great car it would be if it had something like a b16 Honda engine fitted or something with a turbo nearing 200bhp.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    130bhp is pretty poor for a 1.5 these days. Honda was getting that out of a 1.5 back in the mid 90's.

It still should be adequate enough though but what a great car it would be if it had something like a b16 Honda engine fitted or something with a turbo nearing 200bhp.

From a N/A engine with current emissions?! It wasn't that difficult to get power from a 9k rpm drill - but those days are over...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭noelf

MX5 World car of the year 2016 .. Autoexpress it's all about the handling and light weight ..

Advertisement