Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA - can't apply til September??

Options
  • 22-03-2016 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

I'm looking for a bit of advice on BTEA. I've been on the dole for a good while now and I've just been offered a place on a course. I have a degree already but I'm looking to re-train and since my degree was more than 5 years ago I was told by Obair (local employment services network) that I could have a chance of getting BTEA (no guarantee I know). The officer in OBair told me to apply ASAP. I went to the DSP and was told (in their words) 'we don't even have a government, you cant apply now, go away and come back in September if the scheme is even still running'
    I don't know what to do now, I wouldn't be able to relocate and do the course without some kind of financial support but I can't apply until after the course starts? That seems insane. Who should I contact or what do I do next?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Find out when the course withdrawal date. Its common for level eights to allow you to leave after the first 6wks or so without any financial compensation so you may have a window in which to find out if you'll be eligible.

SUSI requires you must be advancing your studies so doing another degree at the same level wouldnt be covered for them, but Im not familiar with the DSP policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

BTEA requires you to be progressing up the qualification scales. If you currently have a Level 7 for example you would need to do a Level 8 or higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Rolllo

I know about the progression requirement for BTEA, but I've been told by Obair that they may consider funding you for a lower level course if your degree was more than 5 years ago. It's a bit of a long-shot but the local employment officer said it's worth a try. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever heard of this 'not applying til September' thing? Surely the sooner after you get the offer the better? I called the college where the course is on and they thought it was pretty odd too.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Ray Burkes Pension

Nope you apply as early as possible.
    Sounds like the person you were talking to you didn't want to deal with something they couldn't solve in a few minutes.

There isn't a chance of the BTEA being removed by any government.

I'd go in again. Its unlikely you'll see the same person again. And you'll likely get your application in.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Rolllo

Nope you apply as early as possible.
    Sounds like the person you were talking to you didn't want to deal with something they couldn't solve in a few minutes.

There isn't a chance of the BTEA being removed by any government.

I'd go in again. Its unlikely you'll see the same person again. And you'll likely get your application in.

Thanks I'll try again and see if I can talk to a more helpful person.

• Advertisement
Advertisement