Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a pretty garden tree that has colour for quite a bit of year

Options
  • 22-03-2016 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

I am looking to plant an attractive tree that holds it colour for quite a bit of the year and that colour is not just a very short time.

I would appreciate some recommendation as it will be a tree that will have sentimental meaning.

Thanks so much
    x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,819 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I know someone who planted an ash tree (rowan) in their town garden when they bought the house. It's evergreen, and has red berries or white flowers for a large part of the year, it was lovely. (Still is, but they've moved - but I pass it regularly)

It grew to be HUGE though :eek: So you'd want to have the room for it!

http://treecouncil.ie/project/rowan-mountain-ash/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I know someone who planted an ash tree (rowan) in their town garden when they bought the house. It's evergreen, and has red berries or white flowers for a large part of the year, it was lovely. (Still is, but they've moved - but I pass it regularly)

It grew to be HUGE though :eek: So you'd want to have the room for it!

http://treecouncil.ie/project/rowan-mountain-ash/

Ash trees are not evergreen, sounds like it might have been a Cotoneaster. A nice evergreen tree is the Olive tree, reflects sunlight very well and the leaves provide an attractive shimmering effect. Easy to grow manage etc. Can be underplanted with other shrubs//perennials for accent colour etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,819 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Ash trees are not evergreen, sounds like it might have been a Cotoneaster. A nice evergreen tree is the Olive tree, reflects sunlight very well and the leaves provide an attractive shimmering effect. Easy to grow manage etc. Can be underplanted with other shrubs//perennials for accent colour etc.
    Apologies, I stand corrected - it was definitely an ash, but I must be wrong about it being evergreen :o

Was very lovely though!

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Silver birch are gorgeous. They have green leaves which go red in autumn. In winter you still have the lovely silver bark so it's not really a problem it has no leaves!

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Apologies, I stand corrected - it was definitely an ash, but I must be wrong about it being evergreen :o

Was very lovely though!

Strictly speaking it's not an ash tree(fraxinus excelsior), it's a mountain ash (sorbus aucuparia).
    They are however a lovely tree and would suit the OP requirements, the height and size is not an issue either as this can be easily managed by pruning, of which they take to quite well, also OP you can get a compact upright (fastigiate) version of the mountain ash, something like Sorbus Joseph Rock would be idea imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Roselm wrote: »
    Silver birch are gorgeous. They have green leaves which go red in autumn. In winter you still have the lovely silver bark so it's not really a problem it has no leaves!

Betula utilis var. jacquemontii - West Himalayan birch most gorgeous bark going imo :D

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/details?plantid=5302

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Oldstyle1

Thanks for all those replies, I have a lot of options to go through so thanks a lot. I also have to look them up ans see what they are like first so will take a while to ponder over them

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

He was referring to a Rowan tree(Mountain Ash). See the link at the bottom of the post.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭WoollyWoman

Mountain ash is lovely and I remember hearing that it is said to protect or be good luck to your home...and it's native so good for biodiversity.
    Acer palmatum 'Sango-kaku' - one of my favourites. Worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Oldstyle1

Just had a look at the Sango-Kaku tree, very nice colour on it.

I also like the snowy mespilus tree - Anyone any experience of it in their garden. I believe they are meant to hold colour a lot of the year around!

• Advertisement
Advertisement