Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin north garden facelift recommendations?

Options
  • 22-03-2016 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all, I hope this is the correct place to post but Im having real difficulties in finding decent recommendations for a medium sized garden project. I have a 100 square ft back garden with a garden shed and nothing else. I wish to have a 16 square ft patio laid and a new 16 sq ft lawn area, the remaining area will be decorative stone. I also need an 8ft long and 6 ft high solid block side wall built. The quotes have been mainly ads from our local paper ie paving firms who want to quote for everything including materials. None of them are keen on labour only jobs? I dont know why. Quotes have ranged from 4200-5000. I have no past experience on this type of job and do not know of anyone who has. I really just don't want to be ripped off. Is it better to have the complete service or labour only? Thanks in advance for any advice. I am in a 3 bed semi in blanchardstown by the way! Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Hi all, I hope this is the correct place to post but Im having real difficulties in finding decent recommendations for a medium sized garden project. I have a 100 square ft back garden with a garden shed and nothing else. I wish to have a 16 square ft patio laid and a new 16 sq ft lawn area, the remaining area will be decorative stone. I also need an 8ft long and 6 ft high solid block side wall built. The quotes have been mainly ads from our local paper ie paving firms who want to quote for everything including materials. None of them are keen on labour only jobs? I dont know why. Quotes have ranged from 4200-5000. I have no past experience on this type of job and do not know of anyone who has. I really just don't want to be ripped off. Is it better to have the complete service or labour only? Thanks in advance for any advice. I am in a 3 bed semi in blanchardstown by the way! Thank you.

My advice would be to ignore advertisers from local newspapers especially the types offering 40% + discount one sees in the local freebie papers. Instead do some searching on the Internet, it should be easy and possible to find landscapers who can provide the service you require.

Although some may be willing to quote for labour only, this put's you at a cost disadvantage as you will end up paying 23.0% VAT on supplying materials, whereas the contractor will supply + fit @ 13.5% VAT. Furthermore, if you hire a tax compliant contractor, your costs (ie VAT portion) will qualify for a re-imbursement as a PAYE Tax credit under the terms of the Government's Home Renovation Incentive Scheme (HRI). Based on the reqs you've outlined, the costs do seem high, but a 16 sqft patio seems very small?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 rootedhaggis

Thanks. Well I initially had a larger area planned but after the first two quotes I was so taken aback, I scaled down. Im not just being tight, if Im going to spend 3-4 k, I really want to be getting a reliable crowd in. It would be easier if someone had used these services before and could refer me on but like I say, I know all other tradesmen but the one I need! Lol
    Guess I will just keep getting guys to quote me until I get the right vibe!

Advertisement