Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Replacing car battery or alternator

Options
  • 22-03-2016 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

I drive a 2004 Nissan Primera and in the past 4 days my car has needed a push in second gear or jump leads to get it started. I guess its either the battery or alternator. I bought the car about 3 and a half years ago so the battery has not been changed since then and before.

How can I tell which one is at fault?

Is it easy enough to change the battery myself. Do I have to take any precautions since it is electricity?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

Get yourself a volt meter and post up the reading while the engine is running.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

DarraghR wrote: »
    I drive a 2004 Nissan Primera and in the past 4 days my car has needed a push in second gear or jump leads to get it started. I guess its either the battery or alternator. I bought the car about 3 and a half years ago so the battery has not been changed since then and before.

Is it easy enough to change the battery myself. Do I have to take any precautions since it is electricity?
    probably the battery the Alternator would throw up a warning on the dash I'd say. Nor would it keep driving for very long after its been started.
    The battery can't shock you its only 12v just be careful that you don't put the cables on the wrong way when connecting the new one.
    Yes its easy to change normally once you have a few spanners.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can check with a voltmeter

but I'd wager it's the battery.

Battery is very easy to change. If Julia can do it so can you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭chickey

DarraghR wrote: »

Any place that sells batteries wud test battery for you and tell you if its the problem, likely it is id say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

biko wrote: »
    Battery is very easy to change. If Julia can do it so can you.

I have more jobs around the house for Julia :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I usually just drive to a factors, remove the battery and bring it inside.
    They will give you the same size, and also take the old battery away for free.
    70-100 euro is usually the range price but can depend on brand etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭DarraghR

Thanks for all the help guys. Went to a motor factors and got it tested. Was on its last legs. Picked up a new one for €60 and the guy fitted it for me. Shout out to Tallaght Motorola Factors best price out of 7 other places and very helpful

Advertisement