Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Handbrake light coming when electrics are used

Options
  • 22-03-2016 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

Hopefully someone could help me here.
    I've got a 02 diesel vitara and I've noticed that the handbrake light comes on when other electrics are been used like the lights and the heaters.

So it only happens if there's a big draw on the power such as lights and heating on together etc..The brightness depends on how much power is been used too it happens with any combinations, heating lights, electric windows etc..

Anyone hear of anything like this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The handbrake light is sometimes a catch-all "alert" light to let you know that something's up. Mine comes on when I'm driving on reserve petrol, for example. Check your handbook, the car might be trying to tell you there's an issue with the alternator or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I have had this happen before and it was due to leaking brake fluid. I had changed the brake pads and not tightened up the bleed nipple enough. So the handbrake light would flash driving along. Check your brake fluid level.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hal1 wrote: »
    I have had this happen before and it was due to leaking brake fluid. I had changed the brake pads and not tightened up the bleed nipple enough. So the handbrake light would flash driving along. Check your brake fluid level.

Yeah, my thoughts too. I've only ever seen that light illuminated for something brake related. It could be anything from low fluid, to a failing sensor (ABS, Traction), failed handbrake switch etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It sounds like OP has an electrical issue.

If lights are on and OP turns on heater the HB light illuminates, yeah? If you turn heating off, the light goes off too?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

biko wrote: »
    It sounds like OP has an electrical issue.

If lights are on and OP turns on heater the HB light illuminates, yeah? If you turn heating off, the light goes off too?
    Yup its any combination of electrics. If I put the window up while the lights or heating are on the light comes on. Turn on the lights and the heater on low, I get a dim light. Up the power and the light gets brighter. Turn one off and the light goes off

Brake fluid is topped up. I don't think its a brake issue. More of an electric issue I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'd start by changing battery with someone for a few minutes and try again.
    An old battery can cause all kinds of weird issues.

Advertisement