Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tax Bands for 2008 Imported Cars

Options
  • 22-03-2016 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone clarify if all 2008 cars are assessed based on CO emissions or if cars registered (in the country of origin) prior to July can be taxed based on engine size?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

No, as far as I remember anything 08 you import at this stage is emissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

If the car was registered abroad up to the end of June 2008 its still based on the old system, from July its co2 based

5500 wrote: »
    If the car was registered abroad up to the end of June 2008 its still based on the old system, from July its co2 based
    I imported an Accord 2.2 iCTDI first registered in Jan 2008 this January.
    VRT was Co2 based and Tax is also Co2 Based.

Cj, had the co2 tax been higher than cc, do you think you'd have the option to have cc based taxed instead. I think that's the question being asked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

It goes by whichever is cheapest as far as I know. Co2 cheaper then based on emmisions. If engine size is cheaper then by engine size.

Certainly in 2008 once July passed, if you had an 08 you were put on whatever was cheaper. I'm not certain that that applied after that.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Cj, had the co2 tax been higher than cc, do you think you'd have the option to have cc based taxed instead. I think that's the question being asked.
    I don't think you have the option, afaik that was just for Irish cars in the first 6 months of 2008, since then its just Co2.
    I could be wrong but thats my reading of it, I have seen 08 Jimneys with 750 euro tax on them.

There were 6 jimnys regged after July in 08.

My understanding of it is exactly as you said there.

There were 6 jimnys regged after July in 08.

My understanding of it is exactly as you said there.
    Not surprised, it killed them off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

From Motortax FAQs....
    "..What happens to 2008 cars registered abroad and subsequently registered in
    Ireland on or after 1 July 2008?
    Cars registered outside of the State on or after 1 January 2008 and subsequently
    registered in the State on or after 1 July 2008 will have their motor tax based on the new
    CO2
    system.."

That's that then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,269 ✭✭✭alias no.9

We have a car sitting in the driveway which was imported from the UK a few years back by the previous owner, 08D122xxx and it's CC based tax. The CO2 tax would have been marginally more but there's not much in it, €710 v €750. All I have is this one data point but it suggests that it's not clear cut.

Any idea what date it was imported?

I think there are cases where the person in the VRT or the tax office does somethings wrong. I was told by 2 tax offices and the VRO that our 08 car would be cc based, even though it was low co2. First regged in April 08. It was obviously co2 tax but shows you how little they know if you get the wrong person. Didn't a fella on here get co2 tax on an 07 car because someone made a mistake.

Any idea what date it was imported?

I think there are cases where the person in the VRT or the tax office does somethings wrong. I was told by 2 tax offices and the VRO that our 08 car would be cc based, even though it was low co2. First regged in April 08. It was obviously co2 tax but shows you how little they know if you get the wrong person. Didn't a fella on here get co2 tax on an 07 car because someone made a mistake.

Either 2012 or 2013, I'd have to dig out the paperwork. Happy to PM you or another regular the reg to verify but just sharing a real instance.

I don't doubt you at all, but I think it's supposed to be co2.

I don't doubt you at all, but I think it's supposed to be co2.

I thought so too and as I said there's very little in the difference ~5% discount but there's evident inconsistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Regged my own Jap import civic and another more recently, both March 08 cars in Japan and both are on the old bracket €710.

VRT was charged on co2 on both but tax is 100% not co2
    motor tax.ie New cars which were registered in the first six months of 2008 whose tax would be more under the CO2 based system will continue to pay motor tax on the basis of engine size.

So conflicting ino, maby fire a mail over to motor tax and see what they say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

I have an original Irish Passat registered in March 08 and it's on emissions tax :confused:

That's normal assuming it's diesel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement