Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

city centre to phoenix park?

Options
  • 22-03-2016 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

Does the dart go out here? What would be the easiest way out from city? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,894 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Luas red line to Heuston, Phoenix Park is about 5-10 minute walk from there (depending on which bit of it you want to get to?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The DART doesn't go there.

Where from the city, and where in the park? Depending on where you're coming from and going to you have a number of options, such as the Luas to Heuston. But the park is a big spot so ideally let us know where you want to get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yep. Need to know where in the park you are going. It is absolutely massive.

Luas to Heuston if you if you are going to the main entrance at Parkgate St. 37 bus (get on at Dawson St) to Blanchardstown if you are going to the Ashtown Gate area of the park, or the Castleknock Gate area. 46A (get on at Westmoreland St) to Phoenix Park/Infirmary Rd, if you are going to the North Circular Rd Gate area. That is the gate nearest to Garda HQ and the Zoo. No bus runs through the park itself, so get to the gate that is nearest to your ultimate destination and you walk from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,563 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    Does the dart go out here? What would be the easiest way out from city? Thanks

Also bus routes:

46a to NCR gate.
    25, 26, 66, 66a, 66b and 67 to Islandbridge gate and Chapelizod gates.
    37 to Ashtown and Castleknock gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

Ill be going to Garda HQ.. Thanks for all the replies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Luas to Heuston is probably the handiest so.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Luas to Heuston is probably the handiest so.

Or 46a to NCR gate.

Luas to Heuston, or 46A to the terminus on Infirmary Road.

46A would be a bit closer, but neither are any distance really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

sullivlo wrote: »
    Or 46a to NCR gate.

That goes out by the Mater and through Phibsboro doesn't it? The Luas would be a lot quicker I'd imagine.

46A then so. Get on at Westmoreland St. The Phoenix Park is the end of the line, so you won't have to look for a particular stop to get off at. Garda HQ is about a 5 minute walk from the gate. You'll see a big collection of grey stone buildings on your right, shortly after you walk in the NCR gate. You can't miss it.

• Advertisement

If you are energetic it is also walkable (45 mins), an easy cycle and you can Dublin Bike to Heuston. Luas would be a good bit quicker than the 46a in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

That goes out by the Mater and through Phibsboro doesn't it? The Luas would be a lot quicker I'd imagine.

The NCR gate is a short walk from Heuston Station - assuming you're near a red line stop in town I'd imagine this is a much quicker option than taking the 46a which goes a longer way around and can get stuck in traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭StreetLight

The frequent 145 bus from O'Connell Bridge (Aston Quay) to Heuston would be much quicker than the 46A and give the Luas a run for its money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭thomasj

lxflyer wrote:
    46a to NCR gate. 25, 26, 66, 66a, 66b and 67 to Islandbridge gate and Chapelizod gates. 37 to Ashtown and Castleknock gates.

37, 38, 38A, 38B, 39, 39A, 70 all will leave you beside ashtown gate.

Also short walk to ashtown station on the maynooth line from ashtown gate.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

thomasj wrote: »
    37, 38, 38A, 38B, 39, 39A, 70 all will leave you beside ashtown gate.

Also short walk to ashtown station on the maynooth line from ashtown gate.

Bit of a step from the Ashtown gate to Garda HQ.

NCR or Heuston closest so either Luas or 46A depending on which suits you better.

sullivlo wrote: »
    Bit of a step from the Ashtown gate to Garda HQ.

NCR or Heuston closest so either Luas or 46A depending on which suits you better.

Yep. Depends what you mean by "short" I suppose. Ashtown Gate is not a short walk to the Garda HQ, by my definition. The Ashtown Gate train station is also a good 10-15 minute walk to the Ashtown Gate of the PP. It is also not all that pedestrian friendly. The roundabout at the Halfway House & the very busy Navan Rd, aren't exactly easy to get across by foot.

Wud a taxi from heuston station be a good idea?

Wud a taxi from heuston station be a good idea?

No need. 5-10 minute walk max to the Garda HQ from Heuston.

Now that we know where the OP is going, their choice is:

46a to Infirmary Road (beside NCR gate)

25, 26, 66, 66a, 66b, 67 or 69 to Parkgate St and walk up Infirmary Road

145 or LUAS to Heuston and then walk across Heuston Bridge, along Parkgate St and up Infirmary Road

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

lxflyer wrote: »

25, 26, 66, 66a, 66b, 67 or 69 to Parkgate St and walk up Infirmary Road

145 or LUAS to Heuston and then walk across Heuston Bridge, along Parkgate St and up Infirmary Road

I'd recommend walking through the park rather than Infirmary road, it's much nicer and very little difference distance wise.
    I'd definitely recommend walking back through the park
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3500698,-6.2995848,3a,75y,309.25h,85.8t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1srIzDN8hcI7KZQD0eUcd_RA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

• Advertisement

I'd recommend walking through the park rather than Infirmary road, it's much nicer and very little difference distance wise.
    I'd definitely recommend walking back through the park
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3500698,-6.2995848,3a,75y,309.25h,85.8t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1srIzDN8hcI7KZQD0eUcd_RA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en
    Yeah, was going to recommend the short-cut through The People's Park - it's gorgeous at this time of year (well, at all times of the year, but particularly now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Museum stop instead of Heuston on the Luas line.
    It's the same distance walking but it's one stop less on the Luas so slightly faster overall.

If you are taking the 37 use the cabra gate not the castleknock gate

thomasj wrote: »
    If you are taking the 37 use the cabra gate not the castleknock gate

That really isn't an option - it's a rather long walk.

lxflyer wrote: »

It's maybe 500m or a kilometre at the outside. A 10 minute walk, hardly 'not an option' and a lot easier than the walk up from Heuston btw as all on the level

Like the 46a, the 37 goes in such a longer route to get to the suggested dropping off spots that it doesn't make much sense to go with that option.

Why go on a bus that goes up through Stoneybatter then takes the scenic route for a bit as opposed to taking either the bus from Aston Quay or the Luas direct to Heuston?

Youre still walking a considerable bit with those options

And on a wet day, I know which option ID rather take

lxflyer wrote:

It's not a bad walk, id easily take that option over the direct route from parkgate Street.

Thanks a lot for the posts, very helpful of you all

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot for the posts, very helpful of you all

So which way did you end up going?

Advertisement