Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Witnessed a hit and run

Options
  • 22-03-2016 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

Old lady banged into the back of a Toyota Auris and drove off. Left a big dent in the hatch. I witnessed it and got the reg. Should I leave a note under the Toyotas wiper with the details or mind my own business? Don't want to leave my name or anything as I prefer not to get involved. Lots of CCTV cams in the car park here which I'm sure they could follow up themselves easily enough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Yes most definalty do the right thing...

Horrible when people do things like this and walk away... Just leave your details with the car..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Leave a note. Absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

I would leave the details and my number without my name.

I would do it for someone, i hope they would do it for me. Most of the time CCTV in carparks arent up to scratch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

I would leave the reg, your name and phone number.

All you would have to do is probably tell a Garda that you saw it and it would be enough.

Someone will have a really bad day if you don't!

yep been there before too and it isn't nice at all.. people have the attitude of sure the car was really in there way and why should they admit they hit it, sure insurance will cover it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

Leave the reg number, and your phone number as a witness. The CCTV cameras won't pick up the reg number, so you'll need to provide evidence.

This happened to my car, and I had to shell out to get it fixed out of my own pocket, as I didn't want my insurance to rise. I went an entire week on 2 cans of soup because of it.

You absolutely need to give this information to the car owner. If this happened to your car, you'd expect the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

OK thanks, I'm just finishing a take out coffee in the car here and I'll just see if the owner turns up while I'm doing that. If not I'll scribble a note down and pop it under the wiper.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

OK thanks, I'm just finishing a take out coffee in the car here and I'll just see if the owner turns up while I'm doing that. If not I'll scribble a note down and pop it under the wiper.

Good stuff. There are many of us who would have been glad of that note in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Redbishop

Old lady banged into the back of a Toyota Auris and drove off. Left a big dent in the hatch. I witnessed it and got the reg. Should I leave a note under the Toyotas wiper with the details or mind my own business? Don't want to leave my name or anything as I prefer not to get involved. Lots of CCTV cams in the car park here which I'm sure they could follow up themselves easily enough.

I d say the responsible thing is to leave the details there and your own details too.
    You will probably never be needed as a witness in court or your name given to culprit as when contacted by the victim or gardai they will probably admit it and take responsibility.
    But there is onus on you too to do the right thing.
    Imagine it was your car and witnesses said nothing.

Redbishop wrote: »
    I d say the responsible thing is to leave the details there and your own details too.
    You will probably never be needed as a witness in court or your name given to culprit as when contacted by the victim or gardai they will probably admit it and take responsibility.
    But there is onus on you too to do the right thing.
    Imagine it was your car and witnesses said nothing.

Yep.

Things like this should be reported so that the crazy mentality "ah sure it's only a scratch" would disappear and people would be frightened to hit and run.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

CCTV owners seem to be very reluctant to give access to the footage, unless there is legal/garda request for it.

Defintely leave note and contact details.

Did it before for a poor lad with a yaris that had two doors taken out by wagon in an Audi.

CCTV owners seem to be very reluctant to give access to the footage, unless there is legal/garda request for it.

That's true. For data protection reasons they will not give out the CCTV footage unless a Garda comes looking for it.

The chances of the Garda going there to look for CCTV footage is slim :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

op if nobody got involved the world would be a sad state.

Imagine there was a kid or adult and she bounced off them and just drove off she could be a real danger and may be unfit to drive due to age or medication.

As others stated do leave a note of reg and car that hit including time and also your name and phone number as they will get nowhere unless someone saw it.

I have had a few cars damaged in car parks and its a right pain and can be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Left the note, hopfully somone will have a good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

Left the note, hopfully somone will have a good day.

Well done :) You'd only feel bad if you didn't anyway. Don't want that ruining your day.

Enjoy some good karma.

Yes well done to you.Tis the best thing to do I am sure if it happened to you, you would hope someone would do the same..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I would, and have. Saw some aul bint (60s) in a Jag attempting to park in Ranelagh. Hit the car behind her 3 times and was revving as she pushed into it. I gestured to put down the window, which her daughter (40s) did and when i told her she had hit the car behind she said she hadn't and then told me to **** off and mind my own business followed by a tirade of abuse from both of them. She only cracked the number plate of the other car i think but i left a note anyway, which i suspect the old bitch swiped as I never got a call.

Advertisement