Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling ix35 2014 on done deal - how much?

Options
  • 22-03-2016 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm hoping for some advice - We have a 2014 ix35 with 41,500km, only being offered 18k as a trade in against a new Tucson.

I'm considering buying the Tucson for cash and looking for a 2k discount off it, then selling the ix35 on done deal.

Is this risky? Should the ix35 be easy to sell? Any advice how much I should ask/ accept? It's the base (celebration) model with no leather seats or rear camera.

Thanks!

Steve

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Try selling first, then buying. This way you won't get stuck with two cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

there making about 23k on carzone for that year/model with similar miles. Add the 2k discount for new and thats 7k. Say 6K to be conservative.

Would be worth the extra hassle selling on its own

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

luceys in Charleville are selling one straight for €21395. there's main hyundai dealers ASKING €21500.
    a private sale would have to be significantly less than that for people to be interested.

I would suggest asking €18000. and even at that I'm not sure you'll get much interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,673 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Are you also sure you'll get a €2,000 discount off a new Tucson? I doubt dealers are having to discount them to get rid of them. Already stupid lead times for some colours.

with the scrappage gone on them I assume they'll have to work harder to sell them now?
    then again you're not just gonna give away cars you don't have I you're ever gonna make money later in the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,217 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Your problem is getting €18k on a private sale, there's very few people will have this in cold hard cash to pay out for a car and if someone tries to get finance from the banks they will only make a cheque out to a dealer. With your car being the base model it's not unique enough for someone to be seeking one out like say for a BMW M3 that's going or something else that's in low numbers. I'd trade it in, I think it's a fair price, far too much money to be tied up in an uninsured car sitting on your driveway.

no harm in agreein a price with the dealer on both straight deal and trade in. if the car doesn't sell for more than you can get from the dealer then trade it in

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

Thanks for the replies.

I've put the car details on one of the 'we buy cars for cash' main dealers websites in Dublin today and got an email back offering 17 to 18k and asking if this is around what I was looking for. I've also been offered a discount from new of 1500 euro for the Tucson Executive model. Both were first offers so maybe a bit of leeway to haggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,217 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

soldsold wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

I've put the car details on one of the 'we buy cars for cash' main dealers websites in Dublin today and got an email back offering 17 to 18k and asking if this is around what I was looking for. I've also been offered a discount from new of 1500 euro for the Tucson Executive model. Both were first offers so maybe a bit of leeway to haggle.

Just be cautious that a lot of these buy cars for cash places will say one thing over the phone and when they inspect it they will try to point out faults and drop money off it.

Advertisement