Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estimating the cost of a build - Software/Templates etc??

Options
  • 22-03-2016 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a Software i which itemizes the cost of building? Even if there is a good spreadsheet going around? This doesn't need to be a full Quantity Surveillance process but just something for a self build to use.

Any good websites?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

Jesper wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a Software i which itemizes the cost of building? Even if there is a good spreadsheet going around? This doesn't need to be a full Quantity Surveillance process but just something for a self build to use.

Any good websites?

I dont know if I should laugh or cry......... Given the difficulty of having two properties the same unless they are designed exactly the same how could a spreadsheet be available to itemize the cost of a specific building? If it was that easy there would be no such thing as quantity surveying in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Jesper

kkelliher wrote: »
    I dont know if I should laugh or cry......... Given the difficulty of having two properties the same unless they are designed exactly the same how could a spreadsheet be available to itemize the cost of a specific building? If it was that easy there would be no such thing as quantity surveying in the first place.

I'm not looking to price down to the nuts and bolts. Just a checklist/starter to get ball park figure and cover each of the biggest areas of spend then set aside contingency for the unknowns or changes.
    I would enter the costs for each item as I receive it i.e. quote for electrical/carpenter/trade then again break out each room i.e. bathroom furnishing on-suite/Kitchen/etc.

The price will obviously evolve and change as the project develops. But it would give an understanding of projections.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭delfagio

Jesper wrote:
    I'm not looking to price down to the nuts and bolts. Just a checklist/starter to get ball park figure and cover each of the biggest areas of spend then set aside contingency for the unknowns or changes. I would enter the costs for each item as I receive it i.e. quote for electrical/carpenter/trade then again break out each room i.e. bathroom furnishing on-suite/Kitchen/etc.

It really does depend on house style, two storey, bungalow, dormer etc.

Windows - are they large openings of glass, finishes - high spec finish or basic finish

Do you know what type of build you want, SIP frame, timber frame, ICF, block, precast concrete etc.

Passive, non passive, level of airtightness, insulation

Can you do any work yourself, do you know trade people who can help out with costs etc.

There are so many things that will vary the price of a build so it's almost best to start breaking it down yourself and get individual prices from different trades, suppliers and work from there, work out how many blocks you need, quantities of concrete, sand, cement, building sand plastering sand, plasterboards, bags of skim, bags if lime, roof slates, boards of insulation for floor, rolls of insulation for attic and ceilings, windows cills granite, limestone, concrete etc. These are all things you can work out with excell and a scale ruler from the drawings or using AutoCAD if you have it. Then get prices for items from suppliers

If you want a ballpark to work off, you could use 120Euro-150Euro per square foot.

Or if you could get a quantity surveyor to price it out for you, but you would need to have provisional BER done to know what level of detail, insulation airtightness that your QS has to include for in the pricing

• Subscribers Posts: 41,292 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Any good websites?

just as a piece of advise jesper... if your going down the "self build" route i would HIGHLY advise you to engage good professional QS services to quantify the build (and produce the spec if you havent a detailed on already)

by doing this you will save multiples of the cost throughout the build.

You cannot simply bypass the costs that a contractor incurs by deciding not to engage a contractor

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Jesper

sydthebeat wrote: »
    just as a piece of advise jesper... if your going down the "self build" route i would HIGHLY advise you to engage good professional QS services to quantify the build (and produce the spec if you havent a detailed on already)

by doing this you will save multiples of the cost throughout the build.

You cannot simply bypass the costs that a contractor incurs by deciding not to engage a contractor

Hi Syd.
    I'm a very long way from building still. I'd absolutely be hiring a Foreman/PM for this work if I went ahead with it. But as this is still a long way off I was only looking at something I could use as an estimate for myself and partner - to get us started; figure out saving amounts; help with the house design/layout costing etc.
    I was thinking of just generating a spread sheet with multiple tabs i.e. Carpenter/Builder/plumber etc. then room tabs. But I am sure there is something like this out there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi Syd.
    I'm a very long way from building still. I'd absolutely be hiring a Foreman/PM for this work if I went ahead with it. But as this is still a long way off I was only looking at something I could use as an estimate for myself and partner - to get us started; figure out saving amounts; help with the house design/layout costing etc.
    I was thinking of just generating a spread sheet with multiple tabs i.e. Carpenter/Builder/plumber etc. then room tabs. But I am sure there is something like this out there.

Estimate €1500 per square meter.

The talk of breaking it down by trade and room requires the experience of a QS, not a program.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 ELBAOS

-snip-

Cant put in the link as Im new!!!lol

This might be some help to get you started with ideas of costs

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

ELBAOS wrote: »
    -snip-

Cant put in the link as Im new!!!lol

This might be some help to get you started with ideas of costs

Hi we don't advertise companies, please read the forum charter. And please use the PM function if you would like to discuss this further

• Registered Users Posts: 42 ELBAOS

Sorry, didn't realise I was actually advertising a company, had only come across this info on the site and thought it might help the OP.

New builds - Cost of construction

Irish Association of Self Builders published a handy guide to the breakdown of total project costs for new builds. The figures below, quoted in the guide, show the approximate percentage of the total cost of a new home through each stage of the build. This is based on an average detached, two storey home.

Site Clearance 3%
    Foundation 9%
    External Walls 17%
    Roof 9%
    Windows and External Doors 7%
    Upper Floor 2%
    Stairs 1%
    Internal Walls 2.5%
    Internal Doors 2.5%
    Floor Finishes 4%
    Wall Finishes 5%
    Ceiling Finishes 2%
    Heating 6%
    Electrical Installation 4%
    Water Installation (Cold/Warm) 2%
    Waste & Sanitary 7%
    Kitchen 5%
    Built In Cupboards 1%
    Professional Fees 11%

Of course every project is different in the type of construction, construction methods used, the material used and the quality required, so use the above breakdown of costs only as a general guideline.

Advertisement