Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bumped into car at red light, did we do the right thing?

Options
  • 22-03-2016 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Was driving through Dublin City Centre last night about a half hour after learning of some unexpected family news so will admit that my head probably wasn't screwed fully on, lesson learned there etc.

Managed to bump into the back of another car at a red light, my fault admittedly. We both hopped out to make sure all was ok and to inspect damage.

In fairness the other driver was very civil and I couldn't apologise enough. Being a small bump there was a few hairline scratches in his rear bumper and somewhat similar marks on the front of my car.

I was offering to give my phone number etc but he (fortunately) was happy not to pursue it. We shook hands, wished each other a good evening and went our separate ways. Didn't exchange any details at all: names, insurance, phone number etc.

So I learned a lesson (after 8 years of driving without such an incident), don't drive if you're not focussed, take a breather before hopping into the car.

The uncertain part in me is wondering is there any way this other driver could change his mind and run my reg (if he took it) and open a can of worms through gardai, insurance etc. Or is the fact that we both acknowledged what happened, agreed to leave it be, shook hands and went our own way a safe assumption that that's the end of it.

Excuse the anxiousness as I've never been through such a situation and head is a bit of mess!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

I've been ran into three times this way before and did the exact same, left them off with it. My own car had a few scratches on the bumper when i bought it so they didn't make it significantly worse so i thought just forget it. Every time though i rang the local Garda station and told em what happened and they just took my reg and name and number that's all.

I did wake up the next day after one of them with a stiff back but that went away by the end of the day so i was grand about it.

You'll be fine!

Hope your news isnt too bad OP and that everything works out

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If the other driver took you reg they could absolutely take further action.

I hope they don't however.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭pcardin

If the other driver took you reg they could absolutely take further action.

I hope they don't however.

Unfortunately he's right. The problem in this rip-off chancer compo culture is that other driver might be sound and OK with situation on the scene, but then he goes home and tells his family and friends what happened to him and suddenly he's been called a fool for not putting claim against you cause you see this is like winning a lottery, he can get some nice money from your insurance company, and if he claims the famous whiplash then all family can go for hols to Gran Canaria this year...he can get new shoe laces with shiny metal tips and get his car antenna straightened and re balled.

Of course I'm exaggerating a lot here, and let's hope this never happens. But Henry Ford is right. Happened to my missus after she had a very tiny accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Kepler 186f

Best bet and to be safe, ide call into my local Garda Station as soon as practicable and report it. They'll probably say you should have reported it at the time but should take a report and log it on the system. That way you'll be covered as I believe there's an entitlement to exchange insurance particulars at the road side, your case sounds ok though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭honreal

There will be a lot of personal opinions on this so I will just leave this here citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/motor_accidents.html (I cannot post full links so re format the link above)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

They could but most people are decent and won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Kepler 186f

honreal wrote: »
    There will be a lot of personal opinions on this so I will just leave this here citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/motor_accidents.html (I cannot post full links so re format the link above)
    Thats a good link http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/motor_accidents.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

They probably can but I'm sure you'll be fine.

A few years back a young lad with an L plate reversed into me and he was unaccompanied. He was absolutely bricking it and I just couldn't say "give us your insurance details".

We had a laugh about it and parted our ways. It's only a scratch at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I had someone run into the back of me. We were both stopped and I was trying to inch out because a load of buses where blocking the view, though I saw a gap but had to hit the brakes and got pushed a bit into the lane. Both of us got out and had a look, after pulling to the side of the road. I had a farmers parking sensor fitted so no damage to me and he had a nice towbar dint in his front bumper. Told him to head on as I'd hope someone would do the same for me.

To answer the OP most people are sound so you'll most likely not here anything about it again. Just inform the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've been bumped a couple times and didn't bother with anything.
    You could make a note of the whole thing, with time and place, and go into a garda station and ask what to do.
    Possibly there is CCTV covering the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Write everything down and put it in a safe place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Similar to above stories, I had a taxi bump into the back of me in the city centre and after pulling over to look at the damage, I genuinely couldn't find a scratch on my car that hadn't been there previously and I felt worse for the guy in the taxi who had the front bumper almost completely falling apart on his car.

Gave me his card and said I was always good for a free lift with him :D Lost the card though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Aongus Von Heisenberg

OP if the other driver has your reg he can subsequently make a claim but based on his attitude at the scene I'd say its unlikely.

I'd be astonished if you hear anything from the Gardaí even if a claim is intimated. Nobody required medical attention at the scene so if you called and the gardaí were busy they may have simply declined to attend and directed you both to exchange insurance details.

You offered to exchange details and remained at the scene until it was clear that the other party was fine and willing to leave. That's your obligations fulfilled and I'd leave it at that.

Had somebody reverse into me before at low speed. Any damage was very difficult to make out so I just let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Baraics Pollox

Thanks all for your input. I may report it to the local Garda station but based on the fact that I was more than willing to give my details to the other motorist and he was happy enough to just leave it be, I'd be very surprised (and annoyed) if I heard anything further on it. It's a T-Cut job to be honest!

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

I wouldn't inform the Gardaí personally. minor contact, other party was happy to leave it at that. I would too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,933 ✭✭✭dodzy

Bio Mech wrote: »
    I wouldn't inform the Gardaí personally. minor contact, other party was happy to leave it at that. I would too.

+1. Leave it alone. The bulk of the people are decent (thankfully).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

worth noting a bumper with hair line marks as you describe could have more damage inside the bumper and need to be replaced etc

People assume that if there is no mark on the bumper everything is fine. That may be the case but why does the car that did the bump have its front bumper hanging off in some of the examples mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I wouldn't worry.

I had a guy reverse into me in Longford the other night then do a runner. No damage and only a minor bump. Despite me getting the whole thing on dashcam everyone says there really is no point pursuing it as nothing will be done even though he "pulled a legger" as we used to say.

Advertisement