Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Value Diesel Saloon €10-14k

Options
  • 21-03-2016 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭

As the name suggests, 30 - 50k miles a year. I know i also started the family car thread but measured two boosters and baby seat into the back of a passat, so now looking at saloons!

Asa corolla driver i was looking at an 09/10 avensis, then read about the DMF issues. Someone said a BMW, then i read about the flywheel issues!
    Got recommended an Audi but they are so expensive with high mileage.

Honestly clueless so any advice appreciated. Can i also say the info on the family car thread was brilliant and thanks to all who posted.

If i could get good value at 10k obviously id take it. Cost effectiveness and reliability are king!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭wandererz

I know your post lists a 14K max, but if you could stretch to an extra 2.5K then perhaps this beauty:
    http://www.dunnemotorservices.ie/viewanad.php?ad_id=1460894&r=%26z%3D8

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

have you put two boosters, seat and kids in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

wandererz wrote: »
    I know your post lists a 14K max, but if you could stretch to an extra 2.5K then perhaps this beauty:
    http://www.dunnemotorservices.ie/viewanad.php?ad_id=1460894&r=%26z%3D8

14 is absolute top of range!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    have you put two boosters, seat and kids in?

Yep, got two narrow booster seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭bemak

You could nearly go Qashqai for that money. Not your saloon but would be a great job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

VW Phaeton...

With that mileage I'd get something with comfy seats. Not an avensis anyway.
    Passat highline or a high spec superb might be an option. Should sell handy enough even with the mileage you'll put on it.
    a4, not the base model has nice seats. Not sure what the rear seats are like for baby seats though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Flywheels fail on most modern diesels at some stage as they have a limited life expectancy. With the mileage you will be doing you're going to replacing wear and tear parts like that anyway.

Doing that sort of mileage I'd be looking at something built for comfort as well as mile munching:

Audi A6:
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Audi/A6/E-SE/201014581267852810/

Renault Laguna is worth a look at too, they are discontinued now but they are good value second hand and offer good comfort and practicality:

http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Renault/Laguna/Only-%E2%82%AC38pwk/201414570337791430/

bazz26 wrote: »
    Flywheels fail on most modern diesels at some stage as they have a limited life expectancy. With the mileage you will be doing you're going to replacing wear and tear parts like that anyway.

Are these expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

Prius hybrid ? Super reliable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Citroen C5 hdi for something left field?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Are these expensive?
    Yep especially dual mass. 400 to 500 to replace depending on where you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,508 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Dual mass flywheels are essentially a service item now so you should factor
    It into any diesel purchase.

On your budget is be looking at a Skoda Superb.

We have a 2.0 Mondeo and are really happy with it, but I'd have got a Superb if my budget had stretched to it.

screamer wrote: »
    Yep especially dual mass. 400 to 500 to replace depending on where you go.

A typical flywheel and clutch kit for your average car can cost upwards of €500 for the parts alone, then you add the cost of labour on top of that so more closer to €900 or€1k.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Bigus wrote: »
    Prius hybrid ? Super reliable

Even me, who is a huge hybrid fan, would cross Prius out with this mileage. Lexus Hybrid yes, not a Prius.

It is super reliable, true, but is lauder and less refined than most D-Class cars. Passat, Mondeo, Laguna or i40 will be much quieter.

With this kind of driving a well kept diesel will not be less reliable than a Prius...

bazz26 wrote: »
    A typical flywheel and clutch kit for your average car can cost upwards of €500 for the parts alone, then you add the cost of labour on top of that so more closer to €900 or€1k.

Jaysus, how often would that need to be done?!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lway

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Jaysus, how often would that need to be done?!

Typically they say anything north of 100k miles. Mine lasted to 140k miles and was 1,200 euro for Clutch & flywheel & labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭kirving

Don't forget, some petrol cars also have dual mass flywheels, so it's not a diesel only issue.

I'm pretty sure DMFs on petrols aren't as likely to fail, they certainly don't get the same vibration as a diesel gives, cars like the mk4 golf GTI and a good few petrol Fords have a DMF and I've never heard of it being a common fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭kirving

Maybe not as common, but got mine changed as a preventative measures when the clutch was on the way out.

Just a point for people to watch out for if they feel vibration through the clutch on a petrol.

• Advertisement

OP, you could always look at an automatic diesel that doesn't have a flywheel, if that is a major concern for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I must be lucky as im still on the original flywheel with 220k miles on. 2005 2.0Tdi.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭PatL23

I suggest you take a look at the new model Honda Accord saloon or touring from 2008 onwards,148hp €390 tax. Fantastic cars and very comfortable with super reliability. The engine is exceptionally refined you'd almost think it's a petrol at times. Very quiet cabin paired with a lovely 6 speed manual box and plush electric leather seats. The executive model comes with every extra you could want apart from xenons but can be retrofitted. Low milage 09-10 examples can be had for 14k including vrt.
    Power delivery is very linear across the rev range and can be remapped to 170hp without causing problems.

Advertisement