Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bay tree - re-pot or not?

Options
  • 21-03-2016 9:12pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was taking some moss of a pot containing a bay tree and noticed some of the roots showing. Just wondering if I need to plant out into the garden or re-pot or feed? Any thoughts on the picture below?

igzz0j.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭macraignil

Looks to be fairly healthy as it is. Bay leaf trees grow bigger if you plant out in the ground. Maybe you could put it in a bigger container. A few years back when we had a couple of very cold winters the one I had in the ground was killed back to the base. It regrew and is now taller than me. I have seen an old bay leaf in Dublin that was about seven meters or more in height. It depends on your garden and if you like having the bay leaf in the container for decorative effect. The stem looks to be one that has been trained to grow in an ornamental spiral. I'm not sure how well this would grow compared to a straight stemmed bay leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

It shouldn't need repotting but could do with a top dressing of a clay based compost like John Innes. It will also need a light feed occasionally during spring and summer, plus a trim to keep it neat and tidy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Replace the top 50mm annually with good soil and feed regularly. Plant will eventually require repotting ( every 3-5 years) but it will outgrow any container, so easier to replenish exhausted soil regularly instead of repotting.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Thanks muchly for the replies all!

Advertisement