Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True North - Crossmaglen: Field of Dreams

Options
  • 21-03-2016 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭

This on tonight on BBC 1 at 9pm

The remarkable story of Crossmaglen Rangers GAA club is being told for the first time in a BBC Northern Ireland documentary.

In 'Crossmaglen: Field of Dreams' BBC NI journalist Thomas Niblock charts the troubled history of a club at the heart of the south Armagh community and how it became the most successful GAA team in Ulster during a golden two decades of success.

Part of the True North series, featuring exclusive interviews from the main protagonists in the Crossmaglen story and including unrivalled access to the senior football squad, the documentary will be screened on BBC One Northern Ireland on Monday 21 March at GMT 21:00.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/northern-ireland/35813086

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Repeated on Wednesday 23:15, BBC Two Northern Ireland

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Watched the repeat last night, very good show. They're a remarkable club.

They hold a 10k road race every year which I highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

"Nobody can beat us except ourselves"*

*and Castlebar Mitchells.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Its on YouTube for anyone who hasn't seen it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

"Nobody can beat us except ourselves"*

*and Castlebar Mitchells.

Castlebar Mitchells seem to have blown a gasket in the semifinal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Thought it was a great documentary. But it could have done with being longer, a three parter maybe. Cross are such a fascinating club. They have so many fascinating characters and stories to tell. I thought that they touched briefly on some of them, but then they had to move on to something else, as there wasn't enough time. That was a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

"Fack youse, we're gonna win an All-Ireland anyway."

Oisin McConville is one of my absolute favourite GAA personalities. He's been through the mill on a personal level and come out the otherside. It's great to hear him talk about how much the GAA club means to him on even more than just a football level. Given the history and chaos that has surrounded the club, there seems to be an almost political edge to it that other clubs don't have. A very powerful sense of identity seems to come with being part of a successful team that arose out of adversarial circumstances. Very interesting to listen to. Ma McConville seems like a remarkable woman too.

I thought Jamie Clarke showed great honesty too when talking about how he fell out of love with the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

My wife has the strangest irrational hatred of McConville. I've never quite understood why given she's a Cavan woman and wouldn't have any big issues with Armagh.

Advertisement