Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paid subscriptions - which would you see as the 'must haves'?

Options
  • 21-03-2016 7:08pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭

While I realise there are ways to access records more cheaply than online subscription sites, if you were to limit yourself to two or three subs, which ones would you see as 'must haves' and why?

Ancestry?
    Findmypast?
    Rootsireland?
    IrishNewsArchives?
    Others?

Myself I have an ancestry sub and do one week/month/day to other sites as I need them.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I think FMP and occasional subs to Rootsireland & INA. Ancestry only if working on American cases.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

My Ancestry sub came to an end, and then changed to FMP. I think I prefer Ancestry, although FMP did give me one tiny snippet of information which cleared up a mystery, but nothing else new. I really wish I had the Irish Newspaper Archives as well.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I do occasional short sub binges on INA (I suspect that's why the 3/7 day options are gone!) and pretty much rely on free access on the other two big sites now. Spent far too much money on PPV access to Rootsireland and Scotlands People in the early days as well as having a full Ancestry sub at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

I subscribe currently to FMP and roots.

Newspapers are searched by optical character recognition, so with older newspapers, smaller print and poor inking, the odds of finding a given article are slim. FMP includes British Newspaper archive which has Irish papers as well as English, Welsh and Scottish.
    Therefore finding what you seek is a lottery.

Although I use FMP a lot for newspapers, and look at INA in libraries, I would not pay for a news only service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

FMP and RootsIreland, and usually IrishNewsArchive

• Advertisement
Advertisement