Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Therapy for Sports Injuries

Options
  • 21-03-2016 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Has anybody had LLLT for sports injuries and if so did it work well? Also can anybody recommend a place in Dublin that does it? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

FeenaM wrote: »
    Has anybody had LLLT for sports injuries and if so did it work well? Also can anybody recommend a place in Dublin that does it? :)

Dr Leahy on Hume st is the expert in this field worldwide , I believe. I know of many success stories for a wide range of injuries including heel spurs and pf. I have never been to him myself but have been in his clinic he is very thorough and professional. It is expensive procedure but takes very little time and has an immediate impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭FeenaM

Thanks UltraPercy,

I had been recommended Dr Leahy but his next available appointment is early June!!! Hoping I'm well mended and not in need of it by then!

But in the meantime I have googled and there are a few other places that offer LLLT. Just not sure if it is the same thing Dr. Leahy does and if it's worth getting done.

Dr. Leahy is 220 euro and says it takes about 15 min but yet I found a place that does it for 1 hour for 69 euro so it couldn't be the same thing??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Does it work!? Anyone had it?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭FeenaM

Hey Corcaigh,

Well, I went to the cheap place and had three sessions of what I fairly sure was a nice warm light bulb. My injury did seem a bit better but that was to be expected with time...

Finally got my appointment with Dr. Leahy and he is actually amazing. Very nice man and very straight. He did an ultrasound on my hip and showed me a visible bump of bone calcification aka a cam deformity. He did ESWT to break it down and LLLT to promote blood flow, collagen formation to area, etc. Well, within a day I could notice the difference in movement with the joint and have had no issues since.

Anyway, that's my tuppence :D

FeenaM wrote: »
    Hey Corcaigh,

Well, I went to the cheap place and had three sessions of what I fairly sure was a nice warm light bulb. My injury did seem a bit better but that was to be expected with time...

Finally got my appointment with Dr. Leahy and he is actually amazing. Very nice man and very straight. He did an ultrasound on my hip and showed me a visible bump of bone calcification aka a cam deformity. He did ESWT to break it down and LLLT to promote blood flow, collagen formation to area, etc. Well, within a day I could notice the difference in movement with the joint and have had no issues since.

Anyway, that's my tuppence :D

That sounds amazing, was it a significant problem for you before Dr.Leahy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

I have planter facitis 4 months now and no sign of improving. I am considering laser, has any one had PF treated with laser

I'm booked in for late October, apparently the earliest available. This guy better be good!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ArtieFufkin

Had it combined with regular physio and dry needling for an ITB/knee injury. I got better quite quickly. No idea if it really works though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭jfh

Booked in today for date in mid Oct. Final throw of the dice to try to solve high hamstring tendon issue

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

jfh wrote: »
    Booked in today for date in mid Oct. Final throw of the dice to try to solve high hamstring tendon issue

Have you had the treatment yet? Any views or is it too early to say?
    Don't forget to post back. :)

Tks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭jfh

wrstan wrote: »
    Have you had the treatment yet? Any views or is it too early to say?
    Don't forget to post back. :)

Tks

Had the treatment, he's a gentleman alright, regards the success, its too early for me to say, Im hoping it improves, in fairness, he did say he'd improve it 70%,will probably need another session.

Will post back in a couple of weeks

I'm going in on Saturday for my long awaited appointment. Back and neck issues. Can't wait, very excited to see what he says.

A good mate of mine went to him before about an elbow problem. Leahy lasered away dead muscle and it was as good as new after. He also had some older family members travel up from West Cork to him and they experienced good improvements as well supposedly.

Will report back on Saturday hopefully.

So I was there on Saturday.

I think it helped but my back and neck are still settling down so it is hard to tell yet.

Definitely helped on my thumb, I severed my tendon on that finger a few years ago and the finger's range isn't quite 100%. The laser helped with the scar tissue. Got a bit more closer to 100% now.

One thing, treatment is expensive. They charge 220 Euro and the session takes about 15 minutes.

Quick update on this, I still think it helped with my thumb a bit but hasn't done anything long term for my back or neck. I have another appointment in January but will most likely cancel due to the lack of effectiveness and cost.

Not saying it definitely won't work for you, just my personal experiences.

Advertisement