Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short courses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 itech

Mad Money! Could you not do a course on-line for €100 to €300 etc and get trained to the same standard?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Seanachai wrote: »
    I've been sent links on Facebook to an Irish company providing training in software coding. The ad basically says that there is a shortfall of about 1 million staff in this industry in Europe. I'm wondering is it too good to be true though to expect to walk into a 30k job after a three month course as their website claims?

http://www.codeinstitute.net/mentored-online/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwt763BRDZx_Xg3-Pv2cABEiQAoDfeGJA0fINtEYZgO2vKfi7lk6qow7NNTyflfuuNmG-UCMUaAlf98P8HAQ

I don't think they'll be able to cover that much content in three months and ensuring the candidate has a solid understanding of it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

itech wrote: »
    Mad Money! Could you not do a course on-line for €100 to €300 etc and get trained to the same standard?

I don't think most people could. Good classroom based training can be an enormous accelerator when learning, it removes some of the requirements for self-discipline and allows for the training to be changed on the fly where the trainees are struggling with particular elements.

That's not to say it's impossible to learn using an on-line course, of course it is. It's just harder.

I don't know anything about code institute but if they're making claims about trainees moving directly into jobs then I would expect them to be able to back those claims up. Ask if you can speak to previous trainees, ask what their success rate is for placing students in those jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

I don't think they'll be able to cover that much content in three months and ensuring the candidate has a solid understanding of it.

That's what I was wondering, even if you do come away with good understanding how will an employer react? is the shortage really that critical that they will not insist on degrees as they usually do?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I doubt anyone fresh from Uni or an accelerated bootcamp is going to be immediately useful or productive. What you would hope is the new recruit has demonstrated the basics along with a capacity for learning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

Seanachai wrote: »
    I've been sent links on Facebook to an Irish company providing training in software coding. The ad basically says that there is a shortfall of about 1 million staff in this industry in Europe. I'm wondering is it too good to be true though to expect to walk into a 30k job after a three month course as their website claims?

The short answer is yes.

I used to tutor the Masters in e-Business at UCC which is one of the better bootcamp Masters courses in programming and is full time for a year.

From my time there, about one quarter of the graduates would be competent to deploy a working e-Commerce website. And by "working", I mean it displays, not that you can actually order anything or that it has any form of security or hardening.

Perhaps just 5% or less I would consider safe to put onto a website trading real money immediately, and they were usually the ones doing additional out of course startups etc typically the mature students. Technology is hard, even a full year of study doesn't produce a majority of able graduates. I would have severe doubts any three month course is worth the money.

Better to take a full Bachelors with the OU. It can be done part time in just six years, and by the end you will be up to a bit better than a fresh graduate from university and able to apply for entry level programming jobs paying maybe 20-25k. I have noticed OU graduates tend to see a bit of a starting pay bump over normal graduates, perhaps due to the longer period of study.

Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

14ned wrote: »
    The short answer is yes.

I used to tutor the Masters in e-Business at UCC which is one of the better bootcamp Masters courses in programming and is full time for a year.

From my time there, about one quarter of the graduates would be competent to deploy a working e-Commerce website. And by "working", I mean it displays, not that you can actually order anything or that it has any form of security or hardening.

Perhaps just 5% or less I would consider safe to put onto a website trading real money immediately, and they were usually the ones doing additional out of course startups etc typically the mature students. Technology is hard, even a full year of study doesn't produce a majority of able graduates. I would have severe doubts any three month course is worth the money.

Better to take a full Bachelors with the OU. It can be done part time in just six years, and by the end you will be up to a bit better than a fresh graduate from university and able to apply for entry level programming jobs paying maybe 20-25k. I have noticed OU graduates tend to see a bit of a starting pay bump over normal graduates, perhaps due to the longer period of study.

Niall

It does sound very risky to pay €5k when you could find it hard to get decent work out of it. I'll check out the Open University, thanks.

Advertisement