Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing your DSLR to gigs (Dublin)?

Options
  • 21-03-2016 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi I haven't ever brought my camera to gigs in Dublin but i just got a new D750 and am itching to try it out, especially in low-light situations.

I'm heading to Battles in the Button Factory tomorrow night. Does anyone know if i'll be let bring it in? I only have a biggish, non-hideable camera bag. I won't be using flash so could be fairly discreet once i get in.

Anyone know the position with bouncers and cameras these days?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Hi I haven't ever brought my camera to gigs in Dublin but i just got a new D750 and am itching to try it out, especially in low-light situations.

I'm heading to Battles in the Button Factory tomorrow night. Does anyone know if i'll be let bring it in? I only have a biggish, non-hideable camera bag. I won't be using flash sk could be fairly discreet once i get in.

Anyine know the position with bouncers and cameras these days?

you need to check with the venue. A lot of places and gigs will not allow anything more than a phone or P&S, but it's really on a case by case basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I would assume they wouldn't want any detachable lens etc. on the camera - So basically just point-and-shoot cameras.

If they see a big DSLR though in generally they mightn't like that. I would call the Button Factory ahead of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Synchronicity

callaway92 wrote: »
    I would assume they wouldn't want any detachable lens etc. on the camera - So basically just point-and-shoot cameras.

If they see a big DSLR though in generally they mightn't like that. I would call the Button Factory ahead of time.

Yeah, i think i'll give them a shout before lugging the stuff into town. I need a little Fuji for this kinda thing, i think!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I shoot gigs and I notice the Button Factory security don't bother with people using cameras. Officially we have a first 3 no flash rule, but in there it seemed to be fair game. I know in the Academy I'd see people in the front few rows with SLRs taking pics and bouncers not react. If we in an official capacity did that after the 3rd song we'd be screwed. The Olympia is a no go. Security there are on the ball.

Thanks folks. Seems like it's worth a try so.

I don't want to be annoying people around me (or the people I'm with) with continuous shooting but will give it a blast for the first three songs if i get the camera in and play it by ear from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

I'd steer clear of ringing the venue in advance. They will obviously say no.

Simply hide the camera under your jacket and take it out when you get there.

Do not stand at the front barrier where the security can see you. Stand 3 or 4 rows back.

Remember its the lenses you use that will determine how good your photos are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

poundhound wrote: »

Do not stand at the front barrier where the security can see you. Stand 3 or 4 rows back.

I'd agree with this. It's easier ask for forgiveness that permission.

poundhound wrote: »

Yeah, the camera and lens (85mm 1.8) are probably a bit big to conceal easily so thought it might be best to be upfront about it. Perhaps yer right though. Depends on the member of staff's mood i guess.

I'm not expecting glorious pics, it's more just a camera test and for a bit of experience. If I can get one really good shot I'll be happy.

I bring my Nikon 7100 and 85mm 1.8G to gigs all the time.
    It is bulky but the Button Factory don't "pat you down" entering the venue.
    I think you'll only incur problems if you draw attention to yourself by using the flash or focus light.

That went pretty well, for a first attempt. It was easy getting the camera in under my jacket. My only concern was that people would spill pints over it as the gig was sold-out and was pretty wedged.

Things I made a mental note of for future attempts:

1. Earplugs. My ears are still whirring even though i shoved tissue into them. You need to get pretty close and that means speakers.
    2. A fast zoom would be nice. I'm more of a prime shooter - don't own a zoom - but when you can't 'zoom with your feet' you miss a lot of shots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you like doing this then invest in made to measure hearing protectors, proper ones don't distort the sound at all but take off 20 to 30dB so you can enjoy the gig without the tinnitus afterwards.

Depending on the gig if you work with the promoter you can get in "officially" and maybe for free but that won't work with MCD/Akon most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Nothing wrong with prime lenses, especially when starting out in gig photography. The big issue you faced was having a large lens for this one. If you have a nifty fifty or 30mm prime then that works treats when up close.

Well done.

In addition to the 85mm 1.8G, I'd recommend acquiring a 35mm for the wide shots.

Its a small lens so fits in your pocket, however changing lenses at a gig can be problematic, depending on the gig.

Nothing wrong with prime lenses, especially when starting out in gig photography. The big issue you faced was having a large lens for this one. If you have a nifty fifty or 30mm prime then that works treats when up close.

Yep, i had a 24mm 2.8D in my pocket (a lovely lens) and put it on at one point but it's finicky and was giving me an fEE error message. I couldn't get it sorted out quickly (of course when i got home i fixed it straight away) so just put the 85 back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Yep, i had a 24mm 2.8D in my pocket (a lovely lens) and put it on at one point but it's finicky and was giving me an fEE error message. I couldn't get it sorted out quickly (of course when i got home i fixed it straight away) so just put the 85 back on.
    Was it the aperture ring that was the problem?????

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Was it the aperture ring that was the problem?????

Yeah, had the problem before and setting the ring to 2.8 fixed it but it wouldn't 'lock in' for me at the gig for some reason. I tried the 85 to make sure it was the lens not the camera and didn't bother putting the 24 on again.

Advertisement