Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which phone to buy for my girlfriend?

Options
  • 21-03-2016 7:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭

She is getting a new temporary phone to use.
    She will be using the phone till she gets the BlackBerry priv that she wants to have.

Something that is important for her are the camera's, both front and rear.

Currently she is using the alcatel pop3 5.5 inch

Required:
    - 2gb ram
    - android 5 with possible upgrade to 6 (if not I need to be able to install a custom rom)
    - good front and rear camera
    - enough storage on the phone since her alcatel gives an 'not enough spaces' error all the time and ignores the setting to install apps on sd card.
    - screen: 5+ inch, at least 720p but 1080 would be nice
    - sd card
    - colours: gold, white, pink
    Budget: 200-250 euro

Till now:

- first choice: Sony Xperia M4 aqua (pink) the reason she likes this phone is because it's pink.
    - second choice: Huawei P8 lite, this might be a better choice but it's not pink and we cannot find the gold one

Other choices? We need to be able to buy the phone in the store, we don't want to order something online.

Choice of stores:
    - cpw
    - provider

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

Patww79 wrote: »
    The M4 is a good choice, but is it really worth spending that much at all and if she's going to be getting a Priv? How long a timeframe is it before she's expecting the BlackBerry and could the Alcatel not do the job until then?
    She is waiting for the white version which they did show the first time but it's not released yet. So we don't know.

The alcatel doesn't make good pictures and I notice that she gets quite annoyed about it also. The other thing is the message about not enough storage because it does not want to install apps on the sd card mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭biebiebie

She's complaining about the camera....is that for the main camera or for selfies? Does she know that the priv only has a 2MP front facing camera? Also from reading reports the main camera can be slow at times, although photos are supposedly good quality.

Who knows if a white version will ever become available? If it doesn't then she could be stuck with a phone that she didn't want to begin with (the temporary replacement).

Perhaps she needs to reassess what to upgrade to next?

biebiebie wrote: »
    She's complaining about the camera....is that for the main camera or for selfies? Does she know that the priv only has a 2MP front facing camera? Also from reading reports the main camera can be slow at times, although photos are supposedly good quality.

Who knows if a white version will ever become available? If it doesn't then she could be stuck with a phone that she didn't want to begin with (the temporary replacement).

Perhaps she needs to reassess what to upgrade to next?

- Selfie camera mostly but also the main
    - Camera bug was solved some time ago, its fine now (I have one myself)
    - White: I asked BlackBerry and they don't know yet but she is willing to wait
    - If the white doesn't get available in the summer she wants the black one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,761 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Smart ultra 6 is £99 on Amazon.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Smart ultra 6 is £99 on Amazon.

I want to buy it in a store instead of ordering it somewhere, but yes its a good phone based on the specs.. hows the custom rom support?

Oh, also 99 GBP at vodafone itself: http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/pay-as-you-go/vodafone-smart-6-ultra-payg/sku86605-grey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

OnePlus x

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭johnmolly92

OnePlus x

OnePlus X gets my vote too, good bang for your buck

Yes, but for a phone that will be used maybe 2 months?

Asmooh wrote: »
    Yes, but for a phone that will be used maybe 2 months?

Didnt realise the timeframe was that short! Maybe the smart ultra 6 is the way to go then.

You could always resell the OnePlus on adverts but i dont know if theres much of a market for it, compared to iPhones/Galaxys etc.

• Advertisement

Didnt realise the timeframe was that short! Maybe the smart ultra 6 is the way to go then.

You could always resell the OnePlus on adverts but i dont know if theres much of a market for it, compared to iPhones/Galaxys etc.

I had a oneplus 2 for about 3 months and I didnt get much for it :(

I had a oneplus 2 for about 3 months and I didnt get much for it :(

Bit of a bummer. No point spending that much money if youre never going to see it again so

• Registered Users Posts: 19,888 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Lumia 650 - 8Mp main camera 5Mp selfie cam. If it's a temporary phone, not being Android shouldn't matter. OLED screen - cheap.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Lumia 650 - 8Mp main camera 5Mp selfie cam. If it's a temporary phone, not being Android shouldn't matter. OLED screen - cheap.

She hates windows phone, we make fun of it (the person who is not nice needs to walk with a lumia).

She will kill me when I say "i will buy you a lumia"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Staplor

M4 is a dog of a phone, really dislike mine.

Google Sony M4 Aqua bloatware.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,888 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

She hates windows phone, we make fun of it (the person who is not nice needs to walk with a lumia).

She will kill me when I say "i will buy you a lumia"

Lg G3 then. I have a Lumia and think your girlfriend lacks acumen.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 keavebm253

Samsung galaxy s5 or you could pick up an s6 that would b in ur price range on done deal or adverts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭BowWow

Replace girlfriend instead? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

Huawei ascend g7 is a decent phone,within the price range I think and camera isn't too bad,could do worse for a back up phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭biebiebie

If its only for 2 months then personally if it were me I'd just put up with the current phone and wait to replace it with the one I really want.

Alternatively buy a second hand one and then resell it without loosing too much on the transactions.

biebiebie wrote: »
    If its only for 2 months then personally if it were me I'd just put up with the current phone and wait to replace it with the one I really want.

Alternatively buy a second hand one and then resell it without loosing too much on the transactions.

Seems like the best option unless the phone she has is totally unusable

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I think the girlfriends problem is the selfie camera-how many selfies does she need to take in the next 2 months?

zerks wrote: »
    I think the girlfriends problem is the selfie camera-how many selfies does she need to take in the next 2 months?

If shes anything like some of the girls i know, probably a couple million!

BowWow wrote: »
    Replace girlfriend instead? :P

she's unreplacable ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Can you not replace her with a temporary girlfriend for 2 months?

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Can you not replace her with a temporary girlfriend for 2 months?

Lol no, that would be a downgrade in so many levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭PeteSco

You really can't get anything with a "good" enough camera in that price range. You should mostly look at Samsung phones and get the cheapest you can afford. Either Samsung A5 2016 or Samsung S5, maybe even S5 mini.

By the way I haven't heard great things about the BB Priv camera, maybe you should try to change her mind and get her an S6/S7 with a keyboard cover: http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mobile-devices/accessories/case/EJ-CG935UFEGGB

Advertisement