Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting timber fence

Options
  • 21-03-2016 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi,
    I want to paint the timber fence between myself and neighbours either side. There is quiet a bit plus want to do back wall. Three questions for ye, 1) can I get same paint to do both block wall and timber fence 2) could I put paint on with a sprayer 3) should I water paint down.

Thanks a million.
    D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

1. No
    2. Yes
    3. Not necessary if you use the right fence paint

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭howdoyouknow

Dane29 wrote:
    Hi, I want to paint the timber fence between myself and neighbours either side. There is quiet a bit plus want to do back wall. Three questions for ye, 1) can I get same paint to do both block wall and timber fence 2) could I put paint on with a sprayer 3) should I water paint down.

Dane29 wrote:
    Thanks a million. D

Before you do anything power wash all now and give it a few weeks to dry out then before painting. Exterior bare wood usually accumulates a coating of green algae. This time of year when things start to dry out it becomes less visible and you don't notice it so much. If you paint over this you haven't actually painted your fence at all and your going to have to start all over again sooner than you'd like to.

1. If you use Fleetwood weather clad masonry paint it will do both fence and wall. It's not meant for fences but because of it high acrylic content it sticks to wood very well and will flex with wood swelling and shrinking. It will last for 3 to 4 years before needing repainting.
    Another good option for the fence is sikkens HLS plus. It's an oil based paint but it's available in a wide variety of colours so you could match up to it with a masonry paint colour for the wall then. It takes 3 coats first time doing a fence but it protects the fence and keeps it's colour well. You need to give it a coat then every year to keep it right.

Other options are your standard tinsel and cuprinol fence paints. Supposed to last 1, 3 or 5 years depending on which you buy. None of these last long in our climate and weather conditions maybe a year at most and by then the colour is washed out badly.

2. You can't spray with the Fleetwood paint unless you have a proper high professional spraying machine in which case you'd thin down the paint with water. You can buy sprayable fence paint from tinsel or cuprinol that can be applied with a small pressure sprayer simpler to a garden sprayer. But this won't do you block wall.

3. Regarding thinning it all depends on the paint you decide to use. Usually thin for the first coat only if it's the first time painting. Otherwise you are just diluting the quality of a good paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Dane29

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for your replies.

Howdoyouknow... Serious detail and thanks for taking the time. Looks like I have a bit of work so ahead of me before I even think of painting!

Thanks again guys
    D

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Before you do anything power wash all now and give it a few weeks to dry out then before painting. Exterior bare wood usually accumulates a coating of green algae. This time of year when things start to dry out it becomes less visible and you don't notice it so much. If you paint over this you haven't actually painted your fence at all and your going to have to start all over again sooner than you'd like to.

1. If you use Fleetwood weather clad masonry paint it will do both fence and wall. It's not meant for fences but because of it high acrylic content it sticks to wood very well and will flex with wood swelling and shrinking. It will last for 3 to 4 years before needing repainting.
    Another good option for the fence is sikkens HLS plus. It's an oil based paint but it's available in a wide variety of colours so you could match up to it with a masonry paint colour for the wall then. It takes 3 coats first time doing a fence but it protects the fence and keeps it's colour well. You need to give it a coat then every year to keep it right.

Other options are your standard tinsel and cuprinol fence paints. Supposed to last 1, 3 or 5 years depending on which you buy. None of these last long in our climate and weather conditions maybe a year at most and by then the colour is washed out badly.

2. You can't spray with the Fleetwood paint unless you have a proper high professional spraying machine in which case you'd thin down the paint with water. You can buy sprayable fence paint from tinsel or cuprinol that can be applied with a small pressure sprayer simpler to a garden sprayer. But this won't do you block wall.

3. Regarding thinning it all depends on the paint you decide to use. Usually thin for the first coat only if it's the first time painting. Otherwise you are just diluting the quality of a good paint.
    Regarding the green algae; you can control this with a product called Patio Magic, available from most good garden centres and hardwares. Spray it on and leave it to work for a week or two.
    I'm familiar with Cuprinol but haven't heard of "Tinsel?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭howdoyouknow

Regarding the green algae; you can control this with a product called Patio Magic, available from most good garden centres and hardwares. Spray it on and leave it to work for a week or two. I'm familiar with Cuprinol but haven't heard of "Tinsel?

Sorry auto text correct on tinsel should be ronseal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Sorry auto text correct on tinsel should be ronseal
    LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Dane29

Thanks again guys. Well I have all power washed and now all I want is some fine weather!!! Think I am going to go with Ronseal for the timber panels as they have the colour I want also get a sprayer to put on. Maybe if I give them a couple of coats it might last longer.

Cheers
    D

Advertisement