Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Justice league animation suitability

Options
  • 20-03-2016 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭

Looking for a little advice, my 4½ year old girl is mad about superheroes (yay), always wants to watch flash with me, but I don't allow her as I don't think it's suitable.

However after playing with the 5 year old boy next door today (have to keep an eye on *that* in the future), she came in and very excitedly told me "Dad, there's a cartoon wonder woman in justice league, can I see it?"

So I checked out youtube & there's a couple of clips, which seemed ok, however one of them had a character said the phrase "You dress like a whore" to wonder woman.

I think I know the answer already, but are these aimed at a junior audience & if not, is there a kids version somewhere I can get for her?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Long while since I've seen it but there's a JLA movie called New Frontiers that's about the team getting transported to an alternate, more innocent world. That could be more suitable...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Ridley

Those standalone animated movies tend to be rated 12 and up. New Frontier's PG. Is the 70's Lynda Carter live action series, which I haven't seen, too old school?

DVD-wise there are select episodes of the PG 2001 Justice League cartoon series which were released on this side of the Atlantic a good while back. They were recently put together as the Justice League Collection.

Might be more practical looking for streaming options for it, and its sequel series Justice League Unlimited, or import the full set if possible.

Edit: JLA Adventures is PG too. Not on disc in region 2 it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

You might also look at DC Super Hero Girls

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Brilliant. Just what I need. Thanks !

I wish those superhero girls were longer... 3 mins each :)

• Advertisement

Isn't there a Batman and friends show aimed at kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Isn't there a Batman and friends show aimed at kids?

Brave and the Bold?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I went googling to see if any sites said what age group young justice could be watched at cos I really like that show.

This site here has a bunch of stuff rated by age group:
    https://www.commonsensemedia.org

I did a search for Superhero shows popular with kids. There wasn't many until I got to 7/8 years old:
    https://www.commonsensemedia.org/reviews/age/2/age/3/age/4/age/5/age/6/age/7/age/8/category/tv/genre/kids-animation-20236/tag/popular-with-kids-21606/topic/superheroes-21636

It has Justice League Unlimited as 7+

I don't have kids so I wouldn't want to say go for it or not. I'd say you could use it as a guide though.

Kids have been glued to DC superhero girls & Lego Superheros (not to the same extent) since I showed them. They've also been fans of Star Wars Rebels for a while & I've started them on the actual SW movies this week... so it looks like going forward we got a houseful of nerds. YAY!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Yey! :)

There's also Clone Wars which came before Rebels and has Ahsoka in it:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_The_Clone_Wars_(2008_TV_series)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

There is a 44 minute DC Superhero Girls special which aired in the US on the 19th. So if you haven't found that already it's worth a look. I find the 80s cartoons a big hit with my 3yo. He prefers Marvel's output. Spider-man and his Amazing Friends and Spider-woman are his favourites. Of the DC cartoons Krypto the Superdog is an obvious hit. The Batman is far favoured over the DCAU cartoons of the 90s as it's more cartoonish. Batgirl features as Batman's first sidekick from season 3 and Robin is introduced in season 4, though I skipped his initial introduction as murdered parents is a scary concept for a small child. Teen Titan and Teen Titans Go are both fine for small children. Your daughter is older so the 90s series might be fine for her, especially Justice League, Justice League Unlimited and the later series of Batman and Superman, which feature Batgirl and Supergirl. My son enjoys some episodes but for many episodes the plots can just be too complicated for a 3 year old to follow.

Occasionally, in the evenings when it's 'adult tv time' but before his bedtime, I'll watch something like Young Justice or the DC animated movies. They are made for an older audience but I put out my son's Imaginext toy sets featuring the characters who'll be in the cartoon and the grown up plot elements go over his head while he plays. We watched Batman, Bad Blood recently and he really enjoyed that and I've promised to make him custom figures of Batwoman and Batwing as he was so excited to see these characters he'd never heard of before. It's worth being familiar with the plot though, as The Killing Joke animated movie is due out this year and that one certainly won't be watched when he's awake.

Excellent. Thanks iguana, I'll keep an eye out for the longer episode. Apparently they're bringing out a range of dolls this year so I'm sure there'll be more to come.

Advertisement