Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water for garden birds

Options
  • 20-03-2016 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭

It's that time of year again. In addition to water for drinking, birds at this time of year need to bathe to condition their feathers. Nesting takes it's toll and they need to wash regularly. Make sure there is always a source of shallow water in the garden. A bird bath is ideal but an old bin lid or the likes will do.

I have to fill the bird bath daily as they are using it so much right now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

they don't seem to bother with the bird bath I have out...(also know as the cat's bowl..) I can't think why

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Ya refilling daily now, also it was NOT rained in ages I cannot remember the last time it rained , a lot of ponds drying up bad for frogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Keplar240B wrote: »
    Ya refilling daily now, also it was NOT rained in ages I cannot remember the last time it rained , a lot of ponds drying up bad for frogs.

Any pond already drying up would be useless for frog spawn anyway, as the water table is still very high. Proper established spawning areas will be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

they don't seem to bother with the bird bath I have out...(also know as the cat's bowl..) I can't think why

Yes, that is strange.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

(I've a river within easy reach plus standing water in the boggy bit of field where I often observe the birds congregating so I'm guessing they don't need my bowl)

• Advertisement
Advertisement