Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car not growing on me :-(

Options
  • 20-03-2016 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some thoughts on this, I've bought a car in October last year. Had few things here and there and I was going to live with it. I got it from a dealership so I expected some extent of aftersales service and the car would be handed to me in a condition that I wouldn't need money spent on it until this year October. I was wrong.

I have a list now what should be fixed: 2 summer and 2 winter tyres on it (summer one cheap one, winter one going to die in the summer), got one bumpstop replaced on rear shock one side, missed the other, it's perished, probably was when I bought it (dealership should have replaced it but hey saved 5 euro and 20 mins labour), bushings cracked but they are still ok, not knocking, maybe I'm too visual (there's creaking underneath when going over bumps, only a slight one, but still annoying)

There was an small accident on nearside which visible, not bad and probably was fixed by the dealership, what I don't like the headlight plastic mounting clip broken, there's some vertical movement, maybe it's me wanting to be perfect, heater control illumination not working, pain in the neck, as the car has rounded controls, so sometimes have to look at them which direction they're facing, not easy in the dark, wish they were elongated ones.

Big question whether I should fix her up or talk to the dealership (I don't really trust and like them any more) to get it fixed or get something else? But then again, this VW 1.4 engine feature (piston no 1. bit noisy on idle, maybe it's me again, paranoid) does my head in, keep listening to it, it'll be grand but it won't because it's lurking around in the grey matter when I get to drive the car.
    Sorry about the long one! And thanks for reading it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭9935452

What year , engine is the car? How much was it??
    Was the car bought off a main dealer or small dealer.
    What warranty were you given?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Fabia '09, 1.4 petrol, probably bought it at retail price of 6750. One of the main dealers of the county. I was given the usual 3 month warranty, but after noticing the engine noise it was extended for a year that one again the usual engine and gearbox. (Was told nothing wrong with the engine, it's like this, nothing can be done about.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭corks finest

padyjoe wrote: »
    Fabia '09, 1.4 petrol, probably bought it at retail price of 6750. One of the main dealers of the county. I was given the usual 3 month warranty, but after noticing the engine noise it was extended for a year that one again the usual engine and gearbox. (Was told nothing wrong with the engine, it's like this, nothing can be done about.)
    Seems problems are small,had an o8 fabia,1.2,no problems, surely you can fix most of them?after warranty u only noticed these problems?

Yes, I can fix them, big question whether is worth it? (The engine still will boggle my mind.) It didn't get much use for 4 months after I had bought it. Decisions, decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭corks finest

Yes, I can fix them, big question whether is worth it? (The engine still will boggle my mind.) It didn't get much use for 4 months after I had bought it. Decisions, decisions.

If u have a choice, and bobs,and aren't happy,you'll always have it in the back of your mind to shift it,so get rid,personally ID have great faith in the Skoda, only reason I got rid was size wise,went for a low miles leave,automatic imported Honda insight, other than that I'd have kept the fabia till she calved

• Advertisement

I'd like to keep my faith too but if the engine packs in on me, the faith wouldn't get me to places where a car will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Surely you noticed the first thing on your list when you looked at the car? Very easy to see what tyres are on a car and ask for them to be changed in the deal if they need to be or your not happy

Yes, that's right. If I even asked, couldn't choose what type of tyres I want and I bet you I'd get the cheapest available. :-( So it's kind of lose-lose situation. I went back to the same place to get a good service but was disappointing this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Yes, that's right. If I even asked, couldn't choose what type of tyres I want and I bet you I'd get the cheapest available. :-( So it's kind of lose-lose situation. I went back to the same place to get a good service but was disappointing this time.

Not really fair to say that considering you didn't ask the question. I only put hankook or continental tyres on any used vehicles that needs tyres, never cheap brands. In a big dealership its not worth it to skimp on things

I'd say better off getting a carton of fresh milk rather crying over the spilt one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd say better off getting a carton of fresh milk rather crying over the spilt one.

This.

My theory is that people will forgive shortcomings if they form a bond with the car. A bit like with people.

Well said! I was hoping to achieve a bond, not there yet. Not sure how long it takes or is it ever going to be.

Advertisement