Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to make a home for froggie?

Options
  • 20-03-2016 2:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,
    So, we have a frog in the back garden. We can hear it gribbit/snore near the pond. The pond is covered with netting, and this has to stay this way, for the goldfish to stay safe.

FA318E71536C4E7D8281E8E92918BCA8-0000324027-0003808969-00800L-06C633386528462C9213E7ABA9109BBF_zpsrjplwzky.jpg

The near one is a real heron, the far one is a fake meant to scare the real one away. Obviously, it doesn't work ^_^

Also, we have 3 hens. The hens have yet to find the frog, so far anyhoos.

We've had the odd frog jump over the wall (I assume the sound of water from the pond pump draws it?) so I'm guessing that's how it got in. There are lilies on the pond, so I'm guessing it may be sitting there, but don't want to look for it at night in case I scare it away from its safe place.

And thus; what to make as a froggie home?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭awanderer

I don't know the answer to your question but wanted to congratulate you for allowing your garden to become so interresting and wildlife friendly. If I were you, I would ask that same question on the "Wildlife and bird watching forum" to optimise your chance of getting the best possible reply.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Poor little owl looks terrified!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Some rocks that have a sort of crawl space or overhang for him to get to safety under wouldn't be a bad idea.....herons like frogs. :eek:
    If he's able to get into the pond at all he should be safe though, he could also just be wandering through at the moment as it's mating season.

It looks quite a good place for him so far anyway, the vegetation behind is quite similar to a hedge or ditch where they're happy out just sitting and chilling. If you want to get him some food, you could try some mealworms, most petstores will have them. Fishing tackle place also do worms and froggy loves a nice juicy worm!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

We've always had frogs in our garden. They spend a LOT of time under rocks. We dont have a pond/water, but this doesnt seem to bother them. They are quite nocturnal, so hopefully it will be safe from your heron visitor. Our terriers are always hunting them - and sometimes manage to 'dig' one up and kill it :mad:

Your pond is all it needs - keep an eye out for frog spawn in your pond! We were at a friends property the other day, and they have masses and masses of spawn. Should be hatching soon. Ive seen dozens of dead frogs lately on the lane we walk on every day (squashed by cars) -there are a couple of streams on that lane, so they are obviously mating/laying eggs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Moved from Animals and Pets by request of the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You really don't need to do anything. The netting won't stop the frog and there is sufficient cover in the garden, going by the photo. A rock pile is a good idea but not vital at all. Frogs live most of their lives out of water so just make sure there are cool damp areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Frogs live most of their lives out of water so just make sure there are cool damp areas.
    Back of the house is south-west facing, so the area is sheltered enough from most of the days rays. The above picture was so bright, as the sun was shining pretty much directly at me. Won't be dropping any worms near it, as I'd be afraid that the hens would go for the worms, and thus find the frog. Shall look into getting some rocks.

Took this photo when I was out earlier cleaning out the hen house (they sh|t everywhere!)

froggeh_zpsx1emq3wi.jpg

The right is fairly well blocked off, and although the hens do approach the left, they don't venture too far in (I think they're afraid of the pond?). Had a look around the mesh, and am pretty sure the frog wouldn't be able to get into the pond at all, but that around to the back right of the "waterfall" bit would be ideal frog area, with little chance of anything going there (the local cats tend to avoid the pond).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Your pond seems to have steep sides? A frog that got into that pond would likely drown. Even if they were able to spawn in the pond, the tadpoles would be eaten by the goldfish. Maybe dig another pond with sloping edges. Fill with plenty native plants and with good cover predation by heron would not be much of a problem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we've got hens and have had issues with them eating the (tiny) frogs emerging from the pond. but as per above, long grass is good for frogs, and cover too.

how many fish in the pond? i'd suggest not replacing them if they die; you'll get a much more wildlife friendly pond without fish in it.

• Advertisement

how many fish in the pond? i'd suggest not replacing them if they die; you'll get a much more wildlife friendly pond without fish in it.

Between 40 and 60 goldfish? I think there was only 10 originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

There's someone on adverts selling garden frogs. Any way of reporting it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

on adverts, certainly - there's a report ad button on each ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

It's been taken down ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

There's someone on adverts selling garden frogs. Any way of reporting it?

Protected at all times, NPWS would be the appropriate agency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I don't think frogs are likely to drown, but they will want to get out at some point. I'd suggest piling a few flat rocks on top of each other in one corner, maybe near the waterfall, so the top one acts as an exit ramp (if its not already done). Also any other critters such as mice and large beetles that fall in will also need a way out. Apart from anything else, the bodies will poison the water for your fish.
    OP should feel under no obligation to build a second pond for frogs though. If the frogs and tadpoles get eaten by the herons, hens and fish, so be it. That is the great circle of life. I take out a very small handful of frogspawn out of my fishpond every year and throw it in an old kiddies paddling pool along with a few buckets of water. There's probably a dozen or so froglets emerging from it every summer, and then I empty it out again. The fish eat the tadpoles left behind in the pond, which is the vast majority of tadpoles.

recedite wrote: »
    I don't think frogs are likely to drown, but they will want to get out at some point. I'd suggest piling a few flat rocks on top of each other in one corner, maybe near the waterfall, so the top one acts as an exit ramp (if its not already done). Also any other critters such as mice and large beetles that fall in will also need a way out. Apart from anything else, the bodies will poison the water for your fish.
    OP should feel under no obligation to build a second pond for frogs though. If the frogs and tadpoles get eaten by the herons, hens and fish, so be it. That is the great circle of life. I take out a very small handful of frogspawn out of my fishpond every year and throw it in an old kiddies paddling pool along with a few buckets of water. There's probably a dozen or so froglets emerging from it every summer, and then I empty it out again. The fish eat the tadpoles left behind in the pond, which is the vast majority of tadpoles.

What do the tadpoles in the paddling pool eat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

What do the tadpoles in the paddling pool eat?

Don't they eat their tails....or was my primary school telling me lies!

Tadpoles eat algae early on, then later on as they get more carnivorous they also eat insects and worms etc that fall in.

They absorb their own tails eventually, so the teacher was right but you weren't listening properly :p

BTW what are peoples thoughts on the fake heron?
    Is it likely to attract real herons to the pond, or put them off, or neither?

recedite wrote: »
    Tadpoles eat algae early on, then later on as they get more carnivorous they also eat insects and worms etc that fall in.

They absorb their own tails eventually, so the teacher was right but you weren't listening properly :p

BTW what are peoples thoughts on the fake heron?
    Is it likely to attract real herons to the pond, or put them off, or neither?

For most of the year a plastic Heron is more likely to attract other Herons than deter - it has been researched.

Tadpoles eat algae but is there enough in a paddling pool? There certainly wouldn't be enough pond life to prevent them turning cannibalistic.

• Advertisement

If you look at where frogs lay their frogspawn naturally, it is often in very tiny ponds, ditches, and even puddles. Places that tend to dry up in late summer, so they have no permanent pond life....ie no fish.
    Algae will grow in a few days. Worms flies and other forms of protein are always falling in. Its true only a few tadpoles ever survive but research shows that bigger tadpoles in crowded conditions exude a growth inhibiting hormone that affects smaller and later ones, and they will eventually become food for the bigger ones. So even if you were feeding them extra food, there is only a certain number that will ever leave the pond.

Advertisement