Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desktop internet slow while laptop is fast.

Options
  • 19-03-2016 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

For a good while my desktop internet has been receiving slow speeds around 2-8 Mbps. I had always been putting it down to the internet provider, however I recently tested the same WiFi dongle I used on my desktop on my laptop and the speed the laptop was receiving was approx. 40Mbps which is insane! I can't understand how my old laptop can reach higher speeds than my new desktop, Any help would be appreciated!

I have been checking for solutions and I can say that the following are not the cause:
    *Location - My desktop and laptop were both located in the exact same area when I ran the speed test.
    *The Wireless Card - When testing the internets speeds on both I used the same WiFi card so if it can receive speeds of up to 40Mbps on the laptop but not on the desktop it cant be the card.
    *Drivers - I did check that all 3 of my Network were up to date and they are. However one the 'Teredo Tunneling Psuedo-Interface' has got a yellow ! beside it however after checking it says that it is in fact up to date so I'm sure it cant be the drivers.

Please any help would be great I've been trying to solve this problem for so long and I just cant find a solution! One more thing using an Eternet cable is unfortunately not an option as my Pc and Router are too far apart for that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

First assumption would be you're using a USB WLAN adapter and the tower of the desktop is shielding it an reducing reception significantly. Try spinning it around so the back faces you.

That not being the case the second thing I'd look at would be the adapter being in a front panel connector that isnt supplying enough power (quite common) and thus its under performing.

PS: Ignore the Teredo device, you're not using that at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Invest in a set of Powerline Adaptors from Argos, they cost about 30 quid and will give you a good solid line!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The Snipe wrote: »
    Invest in a set of Powerline Adaptors from Argos, they cost about 30 quid and will give you a good solid line!

This is what I would do for a desktop.

Advertisement