Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asus Eee PC best os

Options
  • 19-03-2016 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭

just wondering whats the best OS to install on a Asus eee pc with 1 gig of RAM

came with windows 7 starter would like a fast clean os!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If its one of the original 700 or 800 series units then either run it as a headless file server or something or bin it, theyre pretty useless now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

ED E wrote: »
    If its one of the original 700 or 800 series units then either run it as a headless file server or something or bin it, theyre pretty useless now.

Ubuntu or Android would these work??

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

There was an ubuntu distro called easy-peasy thats been discontinued. It'll work but the problem is the "weight" of even browsing has grown so much that they really can't keep up. It'd be a painful experience, I'd just use my phone.

My 701 was a nice unit for playing with Kali linux but all I was doing was wifi testing, nothing more, and then the SSD died (early SSDs really had a short MTTF).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

ED E wrote: »
    There was an ubuntu distro called easy-peasy thats been discontinued. It'll work but the problem is the "weight" of even browsing has grown so much that they really can't keep up. It'd be a painful experience, I'd just use my phone.

My 701 was a nice unit for playing with Kali linux but all I was doing was wifi testing, nothing more, and then the SSD died (early SSDs really had a short MTTF).

Cool thanks I'll have a surf! And see what I can install

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Joe1919

I updated the single ram on my sons 1101ha to 2gb but it only helped a little. The intel atom is very slow, especially with video. I also stopped videos from automatically playing and turned off windows update, as well as other stuff in the startup menu. (MSCONFIG) ?

I also installed puppy linux (both slacko & lucid) using the EXE installer which gives a multi boot option. There was no improvement on video but browsing was OK with firfox
    http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20Latest%20Release.htm

• Advertisement
Advertisement