Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fun fair on the Quay - Safety

Options
  • 19-03-2016 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

The rides are getting more powerful and daring, and usually what you expect in Tramore, but watching them today on the quay I couldn't help wondering are there no rules as to where these fairs can be located.

I couldn't help thinking that if an arm or a chair on one of those broke loose there would be carnage down there as its right beside the bus station and busy quay.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭goochy

Where ever these are on . You are taking your life in your hands . Look at Alton towers if it can go wrong there it can anywhere .

• Registered Users Posts: 29,010 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

goochy wrote: »
    Where ever these are on . You are taking your life in your hands . Look at Alton towers if it can go wrong there it can anywhere .

ah its not that unsafe. sure they have to apply for licences and have safety checks etc. yes the odd accident happens such as alton towers, believed to be human error, so i believe, but they really are good fun. i suspect these mobile operations arent as safe as places such as alton towers though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭edbrez

Several deaths on the Tramore amusements over the years, nothing will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭taytobreath

edbrez wrote: »

dont exagerate, there has been two deaths in 2002 and 2006. and neither were due to negligence

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

That's a gross exaggeration of what happened. All fairground equipment must be certified annually as well as the operator carrying a load of insurance.

Just because someone perceives something be unsafe does not mean it is unsafe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

what shud change? what shud be done about it?
    2 deaths in the last many years.... whats the solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

robtri wrote: »
    what shud change? what shud be done about it?
    2 deaths in the last many years.... whats the solution?

Fun should be banned. Have ya checked how sharp the edges are on the keyboards of these iPhones lately? Jeepers tonight ya wouldn't be long nearly slicing yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

danjo-xx wrote: »

I couldn't help thinking that if an arm or a chair on one of those broke loose there would be carnage down there as its right beside the bus station and busy quay.

That type of thinking is called Catastrophe Syndrome and very much a feature of Irish people when they want to complain.

One I got recently when someone knocked over an item in my premises (her fault)
    "The pot fell - my 2 year old niece could have been with me and hit her and caused her brain damage"

We've pinned the complaint up on our staff door to give us all a laugh every morning.

Basically, unless you have expertise in the area of safety, leave it to the experts to think what "could" happen. Health and Safety laws in Ireland are exceptionally stringent and enforced very tightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

VincePP wrote: »
    One I got recently when someone knocked over an item in my premises (her fault)
    "The pot fell - my 2 year old niece could have been with me and hit her and caused her brain damage"
    We've pinned the complaint up on our staff door to give us all a laugh every morning.
    Should have been answered with "Sure, I doubt it could do much damage ;-)"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

VincePP wrote: »
    That type of thinking is called Catastrophe Syndrome and very much a feature of Irish people when they want to complain.

I wasn't complaining! and actually I am a big fan of fun fairs, all I was saying was that I felt it was the 'least appropriate' location for it from a safety point of view, should an accident happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭deadybai

danjo-xx wrote:
    I wasn't complaining! and actually I am a big fan of fun fairs, all I was saying was that I felt it was the 'least appropriate' location for it from a safety point of view, should an accident happen.

How is it any different to the amusement park put in Tramore? If anything that would have more people around it.

Advertisement