Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arduino

• 19-03-2016 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hey all,

Any tips for starting out with arduino?

Buy a bundle or seperate? are all the clones of decent build quality?

Im hoping to sort out a pi -arduino combo controller eventually.. any hints or tips welcome...

Nice 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Just bought a PI 3 and a clone arduino this week. Just started with the PI, cool piece of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Big Lar

I use arduino clones from AliExpress and have had no issues
    Like the Mega the best as it had plenty of pins especially when using shields

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭ShRT

Would definitely recommend going with a kit. Lots available on Amazon but have a look in the description to see what sensors come with it as you may find different sensors are more in line with what you want to do. The clones do the job very well, the only slight issue can be the USB to serial chip (ch340) that's usually used on the clones. It doesn't have built in support in windows 7 and you need to download the driver for it. Nothing awkward but can catch people out. If you are on windows 8 or 10 you should be fine as it's built in

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Get an Arduino uno type board first they are the most common and what most people start on

There are all sorts of starter kits from many companies. Try to get smallest possible as you just end up with lot of bits you will never use.

Here's a decent one from Sunfounder this is what i got first, they give ya a little booklet and a CD ,
    cables , a handy wooden base with a breadboard for it and show ya where to get drivers for clone. and a dozen small labs
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/SunFounder-Lab-Project-UNO-R3-1602-LCD-Starter-Kit-for-Arduino-Nano-Mega-2560-/181647638908?hash=item2a4b0b017c:g:cQMAAOSwd4tT7sfw

After that go through some of the many tutorials on web and then pick your first project and off you go
    I recommend tronix stuff Arduino Tutorials website
    http://tronixstuff.com/tutorials/
    And on youtube Jeremy Blum Tutorial videos
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCxzA9_kg6s&list=PLA567CE235D39FA84

That reminds me i still have a arduino nano spare?
    any project ideas?

• Advertisement

Anyone ever connect a Arduino nano to a ESP8266 ESP-12 before?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭ozmo

Keplar240B wrote: »
    Anyone ever connect a Arduino nano to a ESP8266 ESP-12 before?

Yes - it worked but it was a bit flakey with all that parsing at commands if you want the connection reliable.. There is a library but it was so slow with lots of delays in it.

So I just programmed the the ESP-12 directly using the Arduino Software - no Arduino at all needed - uses the standard wifi arduino shield library - and you get usable 4 pin outs.

The newer ESP's ones have even lots more pins.

“Roll it back”

ozmo wrote: »
    Yes - it worked but it was a bit flakey with all that parsing at commands if you want the connection reliable.. There is a library but it was so slow with lots of delays in it.

So I just programmed the the ESP-12 directly using the Arduino Software - no Arduino at all needed - uses the standard wifi arduino shield library - and you get usable 4 pin outs.

The newer ESP's ones have even lots more pins.

Have you seen it working from the 3.3 volt supply from a Nano or Uno or is it too low.
    for Vcc.
    Do you use a dedicated power supply to give it 3.3 volts supply?

Have you seen it working from the 3.3 volt supply from a Nano or Uno or is it too low.
    for Vcc.
    Do you use a dedicated power supply to give it 3.3 volts supply?

I connected it directly to an uno (5v , rx,tx) - it takes 5v supply, but the tx and rx are 3v and ideally you should use a couple resistors to drop it to 3v - but many dont bother and they seem to be ok at least for short term testing.

Lots tutorials out there - using the esp like an arduino was a better solution though...

What do you wish to make and i might have some code that might help?

“Roll it back”

There's a huge amount of info even a dedicated website

http://www.esp8266.com/

Its almost too much, information overload :) , different people saying different things

I was initially planning to build an PIR alarm but then purchased a wifi module($3) as well
    to build a message alert into it as well as light and sound, should be simple enough once I have the time.

Up the walls at the moment, no time or energy for it, have not gone back to it since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Big Lar

I have been also thinking of a DIY PIR alarm, I wouldn't mind teaming up on a project for the gas of it.

Was thinking PIR sensor module, 433Mhz transmitter & ATTINY85 route thou. I dont think that I could go with ESP module as the wifi would consume too much battery.

There's a huge amount of info even a dedicated website
    .. information overload :)

yes - and a lot outdated too already.

This I found the most useful:

http://www.forward.com.au/pfod/ESP8266/GPIOpins/ESP8266_01_pin_magic.html

I was able to connect up three of those blue temperature/humidity sensors to one ESP8266. It looks very cool being so tiny and working so reliably for months now.

I bought a newer versions that exposes more pins (esp-12e) but havn't got round to use it yet.

“Roll it back”

Advertisement