Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trying to source engine

Options
  • 19-03-2016 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello people,

I am trying to source an engine for a Volvo v50 2006 engine code 49151.

I looked at the enging and there is a big hole in the engine block. The chain on the engine was oiled and tight, the oil filter was fine. Obviously something was not getting oil and I think a con rod or something shot out through the engine block.There were no warning signs.

any advice would be gladly welcomed.

There are lots of 2.0l engines for sale but not the 1.8. I have tried Volvo breakers in Ireland but to no avail. Would anybody have any ideas on where to source one.

Thanks a million.

Liam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Partfinder.ie is a good website for this kinda stuff. Also, did you rung Traynors up the North?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭corks finest

Hello people,

I looked at the enging and there is a big hole in the engine block. The chain on the engine was oiled and tight, the oil filter was fine. Obviously something was not getting oil and I think a con rod or something shot out through the engine block.There were no warning signs.

There are lots of 2.0l engines for sale but not the 1.8. I have tried Volvo breakers in Ireland but to no avail. Would anybody have any ideas on where to source one.

Thanks a million.

Liam
    Traynors breakers, CO Tyrone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Forget Traynors, ask Meegans in Skyhill

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭9935452

Hello people,

Thanks a million.

Liam

https://www.donedeal.ie/damagedcars-for-sale/2006-volvo-v50-breaking-for-parts/10911436
    Any use?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Read the sticky "Map of all Breakers/Salvage/Scrap Yards in Ireland"
    Ring them all and check.
    Traynors is good.

• Advertisement

Can u elaborate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    From experience Traynors aren't good if they hear an Irish accent. I regularly had to get someone local to ring to get a part for me that I was told they didn't have an hour beforehand. They've a real attitude that way.
    Give Belfast Car Dismantlers in Hannahstown a shout. Never let me down with anything yet.
    Surprised, maybe u got an idiot on the blower, ID no hassle, broad Cork accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

Surprised, maybe u got an idiot on the blower, ID no hassle, broad Cork accent.

Sorry Meegans are a nightmare too to deal with, don't ring back, send wrong parts etc,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Patww79 wrote: »

I and the many who seem to queue regularly for bits from them at the various locations in Dublin several days a week might not agree with you there I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Traynors breakers, CO Tyrone
    clogher71 wrote: »
    Sorry Meegans are a nightmare too to deal with, don't ring back, send wrong parts etc,
    Ok as everyone can see from this interchange there can be varying results from talking to a breakers.

Also there is no fact base or detailed enough postings to help us make our own minds up.
    So if you want to warn another poster off a company, the very least I expect from you is lots of details. This can help me decide if I want to trust you or not.

So OP, did you find an engine yet? Who did you ring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

Meegans one example apart from never calling back, asked for a 6 CD player from a car, gave them part number etc of that old unit ....' Yes yes we have that one' they send out a single disc from the same model car, ring them, say send it back, it goes back, ring them a few days later, they don't want to refund, 'ah sure we will off set it the next time you are getting something' , try to claim the credit a couple of months later... 'Can't find anything there for you, when did you send it back etc etc , I will get someone to call you '........ and I see similar experiences on other forums. I hate dealing with breakers. Dempseys in Co Mayo are good to deal with, Roy Nixon in Co Fermanagh also, and the NI ones in general have better customer service than their southern counterparts.....

Advertisement