Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate FORSALE Championship

Options
  • 19-03-2016 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭

I keep hearing these rumours of the UFC being for sale, the Fertittas want out etc. But I'm not seeing anything of substance.

Why would the Fertittas want out?

Is Dana going too?

Who would buy it?

What would it mean for the future of MMA given that the UFC is undoubtedly the big dog?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,482 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I keep hearing these rumours of the UFC being for sale, the Fertittas want out etc. But I'm not seeing anything of substance.

Is Dana going too?

Who would buy it?

What would it mean for the future of MMA given that the UFC is undoubtedly the big dog?

1) Get out while it's still hot to make most money possible from a sale.
    2) Not making much money from it at all in the current format.
    3) Chinese investors is the talk at the moment.
    4) Bad for the future of MMA unless someone with a strong booking/management background in Boxing/MMA is put 100% in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

If an Asian buyer does buy the UFC, I wonder if they'll follow ONE FC's current model of weight cutting. I think that would only be a good thing for the sport.

However, I fear they might go back to tournament formats which I really am not a fan of personally.

That being said, they may opt for old Pride rules with regards to determining fights rather than the ten point must system.

Pure speculation on my part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

DrPhilG wrote: »

Is Dana going too?

Who would buy it?

Rumours & nothing of substance sum up exactly my thoughts on this. Until there is something more definite I'll just take it as bored journalists filling up column inches.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

That_Guy wrote: »
    If an Asian buyer does buy the UFC, I wonder if they'll follow ONE FC's current model of weight cutting. I think that would only be a good thing for the sport.

However, I fear they might go back to tournament formats which I really am not a fan of personally.

That being said, they may opt for old Pride rules with regards to determining fights rather than the ten point must system.

Pure speculation on my part.

Changes to weight cutting and points systems are decided by the athletic commissions in the US though, not by the UFC. The promotions can only make suggestions and push for change.

I can see the sense in selling I suppose, from a business point of view it would be a colossal profit since they bought it. But I can't see how they aren't making a lot of cash now. They just had their biggest ever grossing PPV and it's only really the big dogs that are making huge money so there must be a very healthy running profit to be made.

Long term a sale would be a worry. Yes Dana and the UFC can be assholes. Yes they screw people over regularly. But they know how to run a promotion. You just have to look at some of the nonsense that Scott Coker pulls over at Bellator. He has some good fighters, very wealthy backers and a good fan base. But then he puts on joke fights like Gracie vs Shamrock and Kimbo vs Dada.

New owners could be the best thing ever, or it could destroy the promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,188 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

callaway92 wrote: »
    2) Not making much money from it at all in the current format.
    Based on what? They took in a record $600million revenue last year. Given they've already topped the 194 PPV sales, and 200 on the way. 2016 will probably be a bigger year.
    That_Guy wrote: »
    They have no power to change weight cutting rules. People forget that the UFC don't make or enforce the rules.

I can't imagine they selling up. much more likely is that they are planning on releasing some equity, 30% max. OR less likely, going to float the company.

• Advertisement
Advertisement