Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation tips and advice for first years?

Options
  • 19-03-2016 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

How do people afford accommodation in their first year? The SUSI grant does not seem to be enough to support accommodation as well as other expenses. So I am interested in knowing how people were able to afford accommodation because I will be starting college in September ( hopefully ). Any tips for me, I live in a remote village about 70 km from TCD. But the nearest bus stop to me is 5 km away and with my mother's work schedule, my family has a below average source of income. commuting will be hard so any tips. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Even with SUSI @ Distance rate (45KM+) and TAP you'd be hard pressed to afford Dublin living. Halls will take you for first year but its significantly more than what SUSI will provide.
    TAP Student Assistance Fund (ESF/SAF)
    The Student Assistance Fund (SAF) is funded by the Irish Government and part funded by the European Social Fund under the Human Capital Investment Operational Programme 2014-2020. It is intended to provide financial support to disadvantaged students to enable them to benefit fully from their third level studies.

While we have "free" education in Ireland your family is still required to prop up your living for four years, unfortunately if they can't do so it sometimes means choosing a campus near home.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Samurai12

Thanks for the advice. So what do you suggest I do? Take out a student loan, commute....

Advertisement