Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

paving design ideas

Options
  • 19-03-2016 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

Hi , I am paving my back garden and can't decide what route to go

I would like to do something a bit different but still practical and just looking for ideas

I was thinking maybe a dark slab with a bright design like a star in the middle but I don't want it too dark as it's a big area

I also like red paving slabs so maybe a dark and red random pattern ??

As you can see I'm undecided and if people would have a few pics I'd appreciate it

I'll attach a very poor sketch I did on the phone of the layout and some of the ideas I had

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I would suggest you pick paving which will not fade, discolour and be easily maintained. Larger sizes = fewer joints which can make the end result "less busy". Similarly strong colours dark or hot can be dramatic but also very dominant, paving probably looks better when tones are more subtle, but I accept it is a subjective choice. Similarly bold patterns in paving can be distracting from other more pleasing aspects in a garden?

Finally I would recommend you select a natural stone for paving (wide choice) generally less maintenance, often cheaper and much much more appealing than the concrete alternatives.

Drama is good in small doses but IMO rapidly loses it's appeal when constantly and conspicuously seen ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

I would suggest you pick paving which will not fade, discolour and be easily maintained. Larger sizes = fewer joints which can make the end result "less busy". Similarly strong colours dark or hot can be dramatic but also very dominant, paving probably looks better when tones are more subtle, but I accept it is a subjective choice. Similarly bold patterns in paving can be distracting from other more pleasing aspects in a garden?

Finally I would recommend you select a natural stone for paving (wide choice) generally less maintenance, often cheaper and much much more appealing than the concrete alternatives.

Drama is good in small doses but IMO rapidly loses it's appeal when constantly and conspicuously seen ;)

Very good points appreciate the advice , I went looking at one place today and one style caught my eye but I'm going to look and a more comprehensive display during the week

I'll attach the pic of what I seen today

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazbrady

id suggest going with kilsaran paving as its made out of concrete,alot of patio centres i went to and advice was that sandstone is just not suitable and too much maintenance for the irish climate,limestone more suitable or granite.i picked the sandastone effect kilsaran slabs.you can see alot of ideas for patios at the dunboyne kilsaran,they have a huge display area.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

bazbrady wrote: »
    id suggest going with kilsaran paving as its made out of concrete,alot of patio centres i went to and advice was that sandstone is just not suitable and too much maintenance for the irish climate,limestone more suitable or granite.i picked the sandastone effect kilsaran slabs.you can see alot of ideas for patios at the dunboyne kilsaran,they have a huge display area.

I picked out tinted mint sandstone today it's getting delivered Tuesday

I'd have to disagree when you say it's not suitable for the Irish climate but each to their own

I'll work on getting the back ready now for Tuesday hopefully I can get the paving down and finished in 2 days I have 27 m2

Advertisement