Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Topsoil over existing grass?

Options
  • 19-03-2016 8:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

Hi, when i bought my house the garden levels were a bit mad and theres a slight slope that i want to get rid of. I can do this by adding about 2-8 inches of topsoil throughout.

My question is though - do i need to remove the existing grass and rotovate the ground or can i place new topsoil on top of existing grass and just reseed?

Not looking for a golf course quality fininsh here but just something that looks ok.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Absolutely fine to do it, but when applying more than 50mm best to walk 'heel it in'/roll it to ensure no surprising subsidence and the final layer is well compacted before seeding.

If the existing grass has weeds, better to apply a treatment before adding top soil. Also leaving the topsoil for a few weeks will facilitate gentle and even compaction and opportunity to treat any new weeds which may sprout from existing lawn/new soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Would you not leave it with a few interesting contours? I'd love to have anything other than the flat boring plot that I have:)

Advertisement