Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mastiffs.

Options
  • 18-03-2016 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

Ive a fair aul soft spot for large dogs Ive been considering getting one for a good while now,I considered a Leonberger because theyre beautiful dogs but I really would love a mastiff,Can anyone give me a break down on what they are like Id be looking at a Neapolitan Mastiff or a English mastiff

Thanks in advance
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Saliva.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

Had an English mastiff up until 2014.
    On the pro side, they are funny, loveable and surprisingly low-maintenance. They don't need big long walks - rule of thumb is only walk it as far as you're prepared to carry it back!

On the con side, slobber, slobber and more slobber.
    Also they can generate equine quantities of urine - you have to see it to believe it!
    Then there's the biggest item in the con list: really short life expectancy. The literature will tell you it's ten years-ish, but from my own experience plus anecdotally from others that keep them, it's more realistically 6-8 years.

I have since discovered the Dutch Shepherd, and all I can say is that I'm kicking myself that I didn't get one sooner.

HTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭damon5

On the pro side, they are funny, loveable and surprisingly low-maintenance. They don't need big long walks - rule of thumb is only walk it as far as you're prepared to carry it back!

Also they can generate equine quantities of urine - you have to see it to believe it!
    Then there's the biggest item in the con list: really short life expectancy. The literature will tell you it's ten years-ish, but from my own experience plus anecdotally from others that keep them, it's more realistically 6-8 years.

I have since discovered the Dutch Shepherd, and all I can say is that I'm kicking myself that I didn't get one sooner.

HTH.

If I was going for a breed with the size of a mastiff and was into shepherds I think this breed would be the one for me :)
    https://www.google.ie/search?q=caucasian+shepherd&hl=en-GB&rlz=1T4GUEA_en-GBIE643IE643&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjNsaGs2s3LAhWBZA8KHbjSADYQ_AUIBygB&biw=911&bih=408#imgrc=SxkC1Ci7zq2u2M%3A

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I always imagined the Caucasian shepherd temperament to be the worst terrier temprament you can imagine crossed with the worst nervy GSD temprament except with none of the loyalty to their owners as either breed. As far as I know they are not suitable as pets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I always imagined the Caucasian shepherd temperament to be the worst terrier temprament you can imagine crossed with the worst nervy GSD temprament except with none of the loyalty to their owners as either breed. As far as I know they are not suitable as pets.

A friend of mine has one that he rescued recently... It's only 4 1/2 months now but is very nearly the size of his Alaskan Malamute already. So far, temperament is gorgeous, but I'll be very interested to see how it develops, particularly around the 9-12 month mark which is when a lot of them seem to kick off. Definitely not a dog to take on unless you're well aware of the ramifications.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭damon5

And your welcome to your opinion of coarse,theres good and bad with any breed just as buying from a back street breeder can have dire effects so having a knowledge of parental background history is important firstly.It took me nearly 2 years looking for a pup from a totally different breed of dog and I could have bought one of them the cheapest around 150 from back street breeders but I persuid especially with young children in the equasion and ended up eventually finding the pup with American show back ground heritage and a lot lot more money changed hands...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

This would be a good description of the ones I have met & handled although I seen some yesterday who seemed laid back.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Knine wrote: »
    This would be a good description of the ones I have met & handled although I seen some yesterday who seemed laid back.

I've never met one but from what I've read and been told by a Russian friend that's the impression I got of them. They would be more common in Russia than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Menelaun

HTH.

Whats the temperament and the energy level of the dog like?They look like a good breed other question is are they good with kids?Ive a young nephew whos always in the house

Menelaun wrote: »
    Whats the temperament and the energy level of the dog like?They look like a good breed other question is are they good with kids?Ive a young nephew whos always in the house

Temperament-wise I found mine to be very mild and he was always an absolute gentleman with the kids - funny enough for a dog that size, he always seemed to go out of his way to make himself small in the house - picture a buffalo daintily picking it's steps through a small china shop!

On energy levels, well, let's just say that their favourite hobby is sleeping!

As regards your nephew, it goes without saying that some dogs, like some people, can turn nasty with very little warning, and you need to know that this breed has the strongest bite force of all dogs. It's also, in my humble opinion, a very different dynamic raising a pup with kids continuously present versus kids that appear sporadically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 pagangardener

ENGLISH MASTIFF MOST LOYAL DOG ANY ONE COULD OWN YES THEY SLOBBER A BIT THEY DON'T LIVE MUCH WITH 8 TO 9 YEARS
    GENERALLY HAVE TO BE PUT DOWN DUE TO JOINT PROBLEMS BUT I COULD NOT LIVE WITH OUT ONE HAVE OWNED 4 IN TOTAL

No need to shout about it.

^ Probably deaf from the mastiff barking in the house!

If ever there was a sub-woofer on legs.........

True I suppose better to stick ones head in the sand ,or some where else and avoid all the facts wouldn't make much of a fourm then

True I suppose better to stick ones head in the sand ,or some where else and avoid all the facts wouldn't make much of a fourm then

Not sure if you are talking to me or not but anyway, there is no need to put a dog to sleep for joint problems. Anyone that owns a giant breed should have pet insurance which would cover corrective surgery and of course going to a reputable breeder, not over exercising and not over feeding will minimise the chances of joint problems in the first place.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Give it a rest please. You were asked not to shout, a reference to you typing with your caps lock on. This is considered poor etiquette in Internet land.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Sums up your life I'd say living in Internet land what you reckon walt

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Sums up your life I'd say living in Internet land what you reckon walt

I dunno.
    Being a troll is the saddest of everyone in Internet land
    Take a break from the forum for the stirring-up today. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

One thing to keep in mind when getting a big dog is that for the first two years or so you will have to deal with a giant puppy.

Our fella, half Lab - half St. Bernard, isn't even a full Mastiff ...but when he arrived at 13 weeks he was already 19 kg and six months later he was heading for 50; a proper Mastiff would be a good bit heavier still.

You really want to have some experience in raising pups that doesn't depend on manhandling them ...because you won't be able to :D

Your giant puppy will sometimes:
    - just sit there and not co-operate and there is nothing you can do about it
    - walk right over you/through you and all you can do is get out of the way
    - get excited and knock over things, furniture, people and you'll be at a loss how to calm him down
    - jump up and open any door that isn't locked
    - help himself to anything edible that isn't securely locked away (countertops and cookers etc are at ideal browsing height :D)

..and that's just what a generally sweet and well behaved pup will get up to ...now imagine what could happen if you get it wrong and your big pup turns into a terrorist.

Don't be fooled by those laid back, docile and just downright lovable giants you may have met ...they were adults :D
    Puppies will be puppies ..but giant puppies.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

I love Mastiffs and seriously considered one when I lost my 2 Boxers, went to look at a couple of breeders of Old English Mastiffs, I thought boxers were drooley, these things were constantly salivating and in one place they didn't seem to like being indoors and I wanted a house dog plus had 2 small kids; so they were not for me. But I met someone who rescued an American Mastiff and what a gentleman, he dribbles but not much, is more compact and a much more manageable indoor dog.
    I ended up with an English Bull Terrier, they are clowns on legs but now thinking a house is surely better with 2 dogs ....

• Advertisement
Advertisement