Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying second car Budget is €1500 Please help

Options
  • 18-03-2016 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

I did post here last year but we never got around to buying a cheap second car.

I would love to have a bigger budget but €1500 will have to do.

I looking for a cheap reliable car that the wife will mainly use to get up and down to work which would be roughly 400km a week.

We are currently sharing one car which is a 07 Nissan Primera 1.6 and its been driven into an early grave with overuse hence the need for a second car.

Hoping to get some advice and guidance on what would be the best options under the circumstances.

I was thinking along the lines of a Micra, Yaris or Corsa with engine size no bigger than a 1.4
    Age will be a concern in relation to the recent insurers reluctance to insure older cars.

Are there any good dealers out there that would have a hidden gem ?

Dreading going out for this car because the budget is so low.

Any advice welcomed....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭trebormax

General advice only mind..

A Yaris or a Micra would be very sensible. We have one of each in the family. Not such a fan of the Corsa personally.

Assuming your insurer wouldn't have an issue, don't be afraid of older cars IF the mileage is good and there is evidence of it being looked after. The Toyota's and Nissan's are built to last.

Online history checks are pretty beneficial. Stopped me from buying a car previously written off. I actually found out it was repaired by Toyota Ireland themselves, so probably would have been fine, but it showcased the traps out there for me.

I'll leave it there, because I'm sure you know yourself that at your budget you could find a peach as equally as you could find a crock.

But good luck! :)

Edit - Apologies, left out a small bit; I was saying that insurers seem to be more willing to insure older cars if you are a previous customer of theirs. Something to consider if you can talk them around to an older car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Hi Mark,
    Having being in the same situation as yourself with getting a car for the wife I would suggest sticking with jap as they are very reliable. Especially with doing 400km a week
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla/11596510
    A corolla would be a good choice. Bullet proof and you won't be revving the craps out of it on the motorway.
    It's hard getting a good car but with 1500 you should be able to get something decent.
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd look at something like a Corolla, the newer shapes are in your budget and generally very reliable once looked after:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2002-toyota-corolla-1-4vvti-bargain/11571654

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-quick-sale/11705613

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'd look at something like a Corolla, the newer shapes are in your budget and generally very reliable once looked after:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2002-toyota-corolla-1-4vvti-bargain/11571654

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-quick-sale/11705613

Some of them like oil so you need to keep on top of checking it every week, they don't exceed the manufactures limit of 1l/1000km so not a major problem just one to he aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

Any particular dealers I should be avoiding.

I was going down to Bill Griffin on the Naas Road as they seem to have a few potentials in stock?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

With your budget, don't go near a dealer, you'll get no-reserve auction Shiite that they pretty much got for free .
    Buy privately, you'll have no comeback from a dealer on a €1500 car anyway, and you can avoid all the salesmans flannel.
    You'll have more if an idea of how the cars been looked after and the seller should be able to answer questions you have about the car. Dealers have given answers to all the hard questions a thousand times and will tell you whatever it takes.
    I went car shopping for herself at the lower end of the market, and you wouldn't believe the standard if cars under €3k in Dubln dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

Any tips for buying off the likes of ads on Done Deal.

Trying to avoid buying a lemon as I have enough issues with my own car without taking on another.

I having been looking at cars and when I find something of interest I quickly check the reg on the PSE Online. Am I right to be concerned if the car has only recently changed ownership and is now been sold on. This surely indicates a wheeler dealer.

Will be going looking on Wednesday with increased budget up to €1800........

Will do a test drive.
    Check out car for usual signs of condition
    Is it worth doing a Cartell check or similar. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

there's a guide to buying a used car stickied. covers pretty much everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You are really at the bottom end of the market so you really need to know what you are looking at or at least bring someone with you who does. There are a lot of ragged cars for sale out there so it can be a minefield.

• Advertisement
Advertisement