Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to become better at tackling.

Options
  • 17-03-2016 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Does anyone have any good tips or advice on how to become better at tackling and what makes a good tackler in gaelic football.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭sligolad1

More specifically wondering what people think you should do if you're in a 2v1 situation. Do you go to the man with the ball or stay on your man?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

sligolad1 wrote: »
    More specifically wondering what people think you should do if you're in a 2v1 situation. Do you go to the man with the ball or stay on your man?

You're usually fecked either way. If you go for the ball carrier, he passes to the man you just left and by now he has also got into a good position. If you stay with your man, the carrier gets a 1v1 with the keeper.

By default, I would stay with my man unless I can get into a position where I can protect the goal and let them go for the point. If you get away with losing a point from a 2 v 1, you're doing OK.

There are loads of exceptions to this though. For example, the keeper might ask you to go for the carrier if he thinks he has a better chance at stopping your man. Your man might be in a bad position to strike (too close to the keeper, too far wide etc), for example.

It's a tricky situation to deal with because there are so many variables. There's no hard and fast rule, unfortunately. If you're new to the game, I would advise focusing on getting back and protecting the goal. Also, listen to your keeper.

I would be curious to hear the opinion of other defenders on this. It's a crap situation to be in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

I would say timing is important in tackling, if a player is coming towards you I normally let him come on to me, perhaps by standing still, and just before he is about to solo or bounce the ball, preferably solo, rush at him while he is distracted and claw at the ball or just stop him and get him to turn around or foul the ball.

I wasn't a great tackler but I was decent at running at people and found the people who took the above approach were hardest to get around.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

In a 2 v 1, like Dots said, it's probably best to time leaving your man until the ball carrier needs to hop/solo because there's more chance he'll make a mistake.

If I know however that the ball carrier is the best player on the team, has no problem shooting and is almost certainly not going to attempt a pass to my man, I'd probably rush him asap.

Advertisement