Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to get an emergency re-entry visa because a dying friend in my home

Options
  • 17-03-2016 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I am not sure if this is the proper place to post this, but I am completely helpless at the moment.
    So I am a student in DIT, and I used to study at Dundalk IT for the past years.Things went up and down but I do love this place for sure. Normally I will not travel back to China for more than 1 time each year, so when I do, I would get the re-entry visa before the final exams then book the ticket afterwards.

The day before yesterday when I was finishing up with my lab, a friend of mine poked me through skype and told me that it's an emergency related to our friend. So the thing is my best friend is dying and he refused to tell me his illness because he doesn't want to be remembered like that, especially by me.

We have no family related but we were neighbours when we were like 4 or 5. My parents traveled a lot for the works when I was a kid, so normally his family would take me in after school for dinner and study hours then let my uncle pick me up before bedtime. We have been the best buddy for more than 20 years and he is always the guy who supports me no matter what.I wasn't in any college after the high school but he went to a great one, and his college has got some exchange student program with DIT.That makes him knew something about the study life in Ireland and suggested me to think about it(which means stop messing around and get to learn programming which I loved since I'm a kid).

So the reason he didn't tell me by himself is that he knew I am about to graduate and the study is very busy for this year, and he wanted me to be focused on my study. What a stupid bastard.

So today I have tried everything but no government/college offices are opening. The inis.gov website shows me that either I could post my passport and files together with REGULAR NOT SAMEDAY method to the office(which I believe that it could take more than a week or so) or make an appointment to walk into the office (the earliest data I could get is like someday in June, of my dear lord).
    There might be another option, which is emergency re-entry visa. But according to the documents posted on the website, it requires: 1, immediate family. 2, document proof which could explain the situation.

He is not an immediate family to him, also that the document needs to be processed and translated and notarized(Not sure but I guess it should be like this).
    So I am very depressed and my friend has told me that he is very unstable these days, the nurse said he have probably a week the most.

I knew probably I couldn't solve my problem here but I don't have anywhere else to tell.
    I really wish to stay with him before the time, or even just a few moments with him would be enough.

Oh well, that's pretty much it. I am going to the immigration office tomorrow morning and hope there could be any luck for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

I don't have any advice for you but hope you get sorted. Sorry about your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Nymeria

Hi OP,

I'm very sorry for your situation. I think you would be better off contacting the Chinese Embassy in Dublin: http://ie.chineseembassy.org/eng/ instead of going to the immigration office, where you will probably have to queue for hours and may not get much sympathy.

If you contact the Embassy and explain your situation they may be able to help you.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

HI

Only you can decide what you should do , but there is an option ( possibly) of just returning to china, and applying there for the re-entry visa

OF course there is no guarantee of achieving same. But if you speak to your college before hand, highlight the problem, and they should be able to give you support documentation for the visa

This is of course if you cannot wait to go through the normal process. Have DCU any presence in China ( I know form experience that DCU for example have a desk in China)

IF you cannot work out anything else. arrange a Skype/viber chat with him through mutual friends. You should not feel guilty; you have every intention to be with him but the bureaucracy of VISA's are beyond your control. You friend is also aware of the difficulty in travelling, and as you said that you are graduating etc. While it seems very distressful and unfair your friend has indeed been a great unselfish friend putting your progress in college before his needs.

I would sadly say, unless you are willing to risk applying for re-entry after you returned to china , then there is no real prospect of going back. Also the delaying getting back to Ireland would surely disrupt your last months in college

Finally, and I apologise as I know this sounds stupid, but do please read your current student visa to ensure at some stage you didn't opt for, and receive multi-entry. ( a friend had problems but was looking at the wrong visa)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ezdilan

Thanks for all the reply.
    So I went to the immigration office the day after st.patricks day and explained my situation to them. Luckily enough that I got to see the women in charge for the re-entry visa. I was lucky that she has told me that she understands that most Chinese families have one child only, which means the close friends could mean a lot for us. So I have got the re-entry visa right the way and then went back to China the day after that.
    My guy was surprised to see me, and he cried like a baby for hours. I didn't know what to say to him, so I just stayed there. I don't want to recall too much about it, but he left without much pain, and hopefully without too many regrets.Guess I could not find out about that anyways.
    Now I am back. My college work is pretty messy, and I am afraid that I need to repeat 1 or 2 modules since I have missed some of the college work behind, but I did the right thing and I have no regret for that.

Thank you all again, for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

Really glad you got to be there for your friend OP. Have a chat to your college, they may be able to help you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

You should be very proud of yourself, you were there for your friend in his hour of need. I agree with the suggestion above speak with the welfare officer in the college and also to your lecturers and see if you can catch up on the work you missed out on. Best of luck, and sorry for your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kimthoa0901

hi Ezdilan
    Can I ask you some things about emergy re entry visa?
    Can I ask what are the documents you bring to GnIb office?
    I cant find any information in their website about the required documents. :(
    Thank you and looking forward to hear from you
    ezdilan wrote: »
    I am not sure if this is the proper place to post this, but I am completely helpless at the moment.
    So I am a student in DIT, and I used to study at Dundalk IT for the past years.Things went up and down but I do love this place for sure. Normally I will not travel back to China for more than 1 time each year, so when I do, I would get the re-entry visa before the final exams then book the ticket afterwards.

The day before yesterday when I was finishing up with my lab, a friend of mine poked me through skype and told me that it's an emergency related to our friend. So the thing is my best friend is dying and he refused to tell me his illness because he doesn't want to be remembered like that, especially by me.

We have no family related but we were neighbours when we were like 4 or 5. My parents traveled a lot for the works when I was a kid, so normally his family would take me in after school for dinner and study hours then let my uncle pick me up before bedtime. We have been the best buddy for more than 20 years and he is always the guy who supports me no matter what.I wasn't in any college after the high school but he went to a great one, and his college has got some exchange student program with DIT.That makes him knew something about the study life in Ireland and suggested me to think about it(which means stop messing around and get to learn programming which I loved since I'm a kid).

So the reason he didn't tell me by himself is that he knew I am about to graduate and the study is very busy for this year, and he wanted me to be focused on my study. What a stupid bastard.

So today I have tried everything but no government/college offices are opening. The inis.gov website shows me that either I could post my passport and files together with REGULAR NOT SAMEDAY method to the office(which I believe that it could take more than a week or so) or make an appointment to walk into the office (the earliest data I could get is like someday in June, of my dear lord).
    There might be another option, which is emergency re-entry visa. But according to the documents posted on the website, it requires: 1, immediate family. 2, document proof which could explain the situation.

He is not an immediate family to him, also that the document needs to be processed and translated and notarized(Not sure but I guess it should be like this).
    So I am very depressed and my friend has told me that he is very unstable these days, the nurse said he have probably a week the most.

I knew probably I couldn't solve my problem here but I don't have anywhere else to tell.
    I really wish to stay with him before the time, or even just a few moments with him would be enough.

Oh well, that's pretty much it. I am going to the immigration office tomorrow morning and hope there could be any luck for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Please don't resurrect eight month old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement