Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young's Modulus from a 3 Point Bend Test?

Options
  • 17-03-2016 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I carried out a 3 point bend test on some samples, to determine youngs modulus but I'm not sure if I'm going about it the correct way.

Am I right in saying, I can't measure strain; just deflection? If so, I take it I can't use the elastic portion of the graph to get "E"?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Young's Modulus equals stress/strain. You can measure strain using strain gauges. Have you done this? You can buy them online.

Stress however cannot be measured. This needs to be calculated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

No, the test results plots force against extension (or deflection)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

I'm not sure how you would accurately do this then. An axial tensile test would have been more appropriate since then E = stress/strain which equals (load/area) / (change in length/length)

If you're only doing bending tests then strain gauges should have been applied IMHO.

Advertisement