Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Eircom phonewatch alarm

Options
  • 16-03-2016 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭

I moved in with an older relative with this system installed. Neither of us can afford the monthly monitoring charge. Does anyone know if we cancel that will the alarm be completely disabled or will it still work like a normal house alarm that isn't monitored?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭RainMakerToo

Should still work as a normal alarm without the monitoring - we have one.
    You should look around for someone else to maintain it - batteries frequently go and Eircom charges for simple stuff like that are extortionate!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭grinder23

Eircom have had nothing to do with phone watch for a while now they are separate company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Daenarys

Should still work as a normal alarm without the monitoring - we have one.
    You should look around for someone else to maintain it - batteries frequently go and Eircom charges for simple stuff like that are extortionate!

Oh really? And they are the only ones that can replace the battery? I can't decide which would be cheaper to pay the monitoring or just get a new system installed with a once off charge. Eircom charge a massive call out charge too don't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

Op with regard to what you have, it depends really on what particular model of panel is installed. Most of their older stuff could be taken over by other alarm companies. For example the Simon panels they used were manufactured by GE, a manufacturer which a lot of us installers are very familiar with.

i suppose it all depends really on which part of the country you are in, I know the more rural you get the less choice you have as a lot of guys don't want to be associated with PW stuff and to be fair a lot of them only use 1 make anyway.

But to answer your query, yes you can go without them monitoring you, depending on what you have, you could either get it monitored by another one of the twenty odd monitoring stations in this country for probably less than half what PW are charging. Or you could get the alarm to ring your own phone directly if and when it activates.

Just also to be wary, PW have a nasty habit of only putting up decoy alarm sounders, so if the alarm is not going to be connected to anybody, it will not make any noise outside the house, when activated, so may not be noticed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

As long as its not the new Phone Watch system any company can maintain it and replace batteries etc. If you sign up to their new system you are tied to them for everything.

• Advertisement

kub wrote: »
    Op with regard to what you have, it depends really on what particular model of panel is installed. Most of their older stuff could be taken over by other alarm companies. For example the Simon panels they used were manufactured by GE, a manufacturer which a lot of us installers are very familiar with.

i suppose it all depends really on which part of the country you are in, I know the more rural you get the less choice you have as a lot of guys don't want to be associated with PW stuff and to be fair a lot of them only use 1 make anyway.

But to answer your query, yes you can go without them monitoring you, depending on what you have, you could either get it monitored by another one of the twenty odd monitoring stations in this country for probably less than half what PW are charging. Or you could get the alarm to ring your own phone directly if and when it activates.

Just also to be wary, PW have a nasty habit of only putting up decoy alarm sounders, so if the alarm is not going to be connected to anybody, it will not make any noise outside the house, when activated, so may not be noticed.

It appears I have the Simon panel, it's very old. When you say get someone else to monitor it though, like who else a local alarm company? How could they do that?

I've decided to cancel it anyway it's ridiculous waste of money. Not once have the gardai come when it's gone off, the neighbour was called alright and he's old too. Poor man........Not the best alarm system if you ask me :rolleyes:

KoolKid wrote: »
    As long as its not the new Phone Watch system any company can maintain it and replace batteries etc. If you sign up to their new system you are tied to them for everything.

Nah this thing is ancient. What happens if the battery goes, please don't say it starts squeaking all day and night? :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It is a very basic alarm system. But any licenced company can monitor and maintain this system.

Daenarys wrote: »
    It appears I have the Simon panel, it's very old. When you say get someone else to monitor it though, like who else a local alarm company? How could they do that?

I've decided to cancel it anyway it's ridiculous waste of money. Not once have the gardai come when it's gone off, the neighbour was called alright and he's old too. Poor man........Not the best alarm system if you ask me :rolleyes:

Think of it in car terms, you always brought your Toyota to the main dealer for service, now for whatever reason you don't want to any longer, instead you bring it to a local mechanic who is well capable and is giving a more personal service, also as he is independent he is not tied to any particular supplier.

No matter what a monitoring company or an installer can say, none of us can, predict or even say if an activation will get a Garda response, they have their own rules and regs and best to say no more about that.
    With regard to who ever is called, well the monitoring company will only call people who they have been asked to ring.

With regard to who ever is called, well the monitoring company will only call people who they have been asked to ring.

But... but... but that's not what they advertise on tv, the guards and the neighbours and the brother in law all turn up :D:D:D:D

Thanks for the info everyone!

• Advertisement

Daenarys wrote: »
    But... but... but that's not what they advertise on tv, the guards and the neighbours and the brother in law all turn up :D:D:D:D

Thanks for the info everyone!

It does and even on the earlier version of that add the PW lady actually invites the lads into the house and well they soon realised their mistake and edited that bit out.

On a serious note though, The Gardai have specifically mentioned in their literature for alarm response that no security company are allowed to determine Garda response to alarm activations.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its sector that you were paying FYI, they purchased the PW brand: http://www.sectoralarm.com/

Home alarms are pretty useless in general tbh, you'd be better off buying dog food and getting a nice German Shepherd.

On a serious note though, The Gardai have specifically mentioned in their literature for alarm response that no security company are allowed to determine Garda response to alarm activations.

I think they are skirting the lines by saying the Guards rather than Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭johnnyboy08

Daenarys, there should be a local alarm company that can maintain this for you. I've just bought a 2nd hand house that had an Eircom Phone Watch installed in 2003. I called Phone Watch to check for them maintaining the system and they wouldn't go near it and reuse the existing sensors, plus, subscription was over 30 euro a month.
    I went with a company from Wexford called crimewatch who reused all the existing sensors and upgraded the PCB so wireless sensors can be added in the future. Monitoring is 150 for the year or 12.50 per month. Installation was 400.

ED E wrote: »
    Its sector that you were paying FYI, they purchased the PW brand: http://www.sectoralarm.com/

Home alarms are pretty useless in general tbh, you'd be better off buying dog food and getting a nice German Shepherd.

You don't have to feed, walk and take out the poop bag for your alarm, also the alarm will not eat poisoned meat.

What protects your house when you are out walking the dog?
    Does your insurance company recognise your dog as part of your security system and give you a reduction for having it?

You forgot will your alarm eat poisoned meat or run away or can be locked in a room.

Daenarys, there should be a local alarm company that can maintain this for you. I've just bought a 2nd hand house that had an Eircom Phone Watch installed in 2003. I called Phone Watch to check for them maintaining the system and they wouldn't go near it and reuse the existing sensors, plus, subscription was over 30 euro a month.
    I went with a company from Wexford called crimewatch who reused all the existing sensors and upgraded the PCB so wireless sensors can be added in the future. Monitoring is 150 for the year or 12.50 per month. Installation was 400.

Will they monitor any alarm in the country if you're not based in the south east? That is a serious drop in monthly costs, it's worth considering. I've emailed PW to cancel the monitoring. So fingers crossed there won't be any grief from them!

Mod edit:

h Johnnyboy

Please read the charter re advertising, we are not saying you are but we cant confirm and you are new to boards.

Mod edit:

h Johnnyboy

Please read the charter re advertising, we are not saying you are but we cant confirm and you are new to boards.
    Fair enough, just trying to be helpful. Jeez. I've been a member since 2008.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Sorry I checked your post count early this morning it was 50 , maybe my eyes failed me, I assumed you were new based on that sorry

• Advertisement
Advertisement