Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Lights at the Tower

Options
  • 16-03-2016 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Was on the bus going to the quays and as it approached the lights at the Tower traffic was stopped.

At the top of the pole at the reg there, there were two red arrow lights, (two arrow signs all lit up in red) One for on straight and the other for turning right. Seemed very confusing at first.

I've never seen red arrows at traffic lights before in this country. God we'll soon have driverless buses next.:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Was on the bus going to the quays and as it approached the lights at the Tower traffic was stopped.

At the top of the pole at the reg there, there were two red arrow lights, (two arrow signs all lit up in red) One for on straight and the other for turning right. Seemed very confusing at first.

I've never seen red arrows at traffic lights before in this country. God we'll soon have driverless buses next.:D

We will NEVER have driverless transport on our roads!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

'oh yes we will' driverless vehicles all ready being used in some parts of the world, Airports I think.

danjo-xx wrote: »
    'oh yes we will' driverless vehicles all ready being used in some parts of the world, Airports I think.

They may well be Dan in a sterile environment but I meant they will never be on

public roads mixed with regular drivers and if you think likewise you're kidding

yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭lassykk

public roads mixed with regular drivers and if you think likewise you're kidding

yourself.

I don't wish to get into an argument over it but there will without doubt be driverless cars in the future. There isn't even a shadow of doubt about this.

The vasts sums of money being invested in the technologies behind autonomous vehicles speaks for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Red Lights at the Tower ...... red light district now marked for all to find easily?

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Red Lights at the Tower ...... red light district now marked for all to find easily?

:D

Took longer that I expected for that one to surface:p

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Just cast your mind back to the voting machine debacle and that

was quite an amount invested but we'll agree to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭JohnC.

yourself.

They are already on public roads mixed with regular drivers in several countries.

JohnC. wrote: »
    They are already on public roads mixed with regular drivers in several countries.

I would like for you to show me where that is happening!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_self-driving_car

Mainly in parts of North America I think...

• Advertisement

Mainly in parts of North America I think...

That's not showing anything! Scroll down to crashes and limitations in your link.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Google self-driving car is any in a range of autonomous cars, developed by Google X as part of its project to develop technology for mainly electric cars. The software installed in Google's cars is named Google Chauffeur.[1] Lettering on the side of each car identifies it as a "self-driving car". The project was formerly led by Sebastian Thrun, former director of the Stanford Artificial Intelligence Laboratory and co-inventor of Google Street View. Thrun's team at Stanford created the robotic vehicle Stanley which won the 2005 DARPA Grand Challenge and its US$2 million prize from the United States Department of Defense.[2] The team developing the system consisted of 15 engineers working for Google, including Chris Urmson, Mike Montemerlo, and Anthony Levandowski who had worked on the DARPA Grand and Urban Challenges.[3]

Legislation has been passed in four U.S. states and Washington, D.C. allowing driverless cars. The state of Nevada passed a law on June 29, 2011, permitting the operation of autonomous cars in Nevada, after Google had been lobbying in that state for robotic car laws.[4][5] The Nevada law went into effect on March 1, 2012, and the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles issued the first license for an autonomous car in May 2012, to a Toyota Prius modified with Google's experimental driverless technology.[6] In April 2012, Florida became the second state to allow the testing of autonomous cars on public roads,[7] and California became the third when Governor Jerry Brown signed the bill into law at Google Headquarters in Mountain View.[8] In December 2013, Michigan became the fourth state to allow testing of driverless cars on public roads.[9] In July 2014, the city of Coeur d'Alene, Idaho adopted a robotics ordinance that includes provisions to allow for self-driving cars.[10]

In May 2014, Google presented a new concept for their driverless car that had neither a steering wheel nor pedals,[11] and unveiled a fully functioning prototype in December of that year that they planned to test on San Francisco Bay Area roads beginning in 2015.[12] Google plans to make these cars available to the public in 2020.[13]

See if this works

See if this works

It states legislation has been passed to allow it, that's it!

Show me where these cars are CURRENTLY using roads along side other

road using vehicles!!!

It's happening in parts of the US with both cars and trucks. There has been a lot of mainstream news about this, especially Google's cars. Not my fault if you've buried your head too far in the sand to notice. A self driving bus in the Netherlands too. Baidu are doing it in China. Germany. Japan. Yes, all on public roads. A lot of countries, including the UK, are gearing up to start shortly too.

All I'm asking is for someone to show a valid link with a self driving vehicle

with regular road traffic and no one has been able to do so!!!

Try doing your own homework.

JohnC. wrote: »
    Try doing your own homework.

Is that a white flag?

No, I'm not going to spend time on it when you just move goalposts with every reply.

If you think it's not happening, there must be a vast conspiracy involving all the worlds media who have covered it quite a bit.

Or you are wrong.

Hint: the answer is the latter.

Besides, someone already posted something and you decided to ignore the relevant parts.

The relevant parts that suit your argument!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Anyway, the traffic lights. I was there a couple of nights ago and the lights changed. They went from red to green, then orange. It was amazing. Fucking Aurora Borealis, this time of year, this far south...

• Advertisement

Again if you read the small print that was a trial run.

Did you not see the tape outside of the bus cordoning off any outside

interference?

And again I'll add there was no other traffic on that small stretch be it

traffic or pedestrians!

OK so.

Google driverless car on public roads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qE5VzuYFPU

Plenty of footage that could be private roads or restricted roads in video too but there is footage on a public road.

References number of miles covered over 6 year period on public roads too and number of crashes, etc in that period.

Not sure why you have such a desire to deny something that is actually happening but so be it!

Even reading the Google Self Drive wiki page shows they are on public roads too:

There are other videos too including footage from a normal bus where a google car pulls out under it and crashes into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9T6LkNm-5w

FWIW, I don't think these are perfect means of transport by any stretch just that they do exist on public roads, in certain countries and will become far more prevalent in years to come with the vast investments being made in them

Ok, a lot more info' in that thread than ones previous but still a sterile environment! Even the guy standing when the car passes is wearing a Google shirt. Six years of testing on public roads is quite an amount but
    what roads and where. What weather conditions etc. I'm sure they've all
    thought of these without needing a prompt from me!

I for one do not believe it will ever happen. Too many random particles as
    in other motorists driving behaviours and attitudes to make this successful
    but that just my opinion.

Ok, a lot more info' in that thread than ones previous but still a sterile environment! Even the guy standing when the car passes is wearing a Google shirt. Six years of testing on public roads is quite an amount but
    what roads and where. What weather conditions etc. I'm sure they've all
    thought of these without needing a prompt from me!

I for one do not believe it will ever happen. Too many random particles as
    in other motorists driving behaviours and attitudes to make this successful
    but that just my opinion.

The video link where the car crashes is anything but a sterile environment!

I'm not going to provide further research on this for you beyond what I already added.

Your tone in your last post has softened somewhat from your original statement of

"We will NEVER have driverless transport on our roads!"

so I'm happy enough to leave it at that.

I believe it will happen but to what extent I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Google's own blurb ...

https://www.google.com/selfdrivingcar/

We’ve self-driven over 1 million miles and are currently out on the streets of Mountain View, CA, Austin, TX and Kirkland, WA.

Our testing fleet includes both modified Lexus SUVs and new prototype vehicles that are designed from the ground up to be fully self-driving. There are safety drivers aboard all vehicles for now. We look forward to learning how the community perceives and interacts with us, and uncovering situations that are unique to a fully self-driving vehicle.

Advertisement