Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop cpu usage 100%

Options
  • 16-03-2016 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Hi, any tips on how I can reduce my cpu usage. Laptop running very slow. Simple ideas much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What operating system are you running?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Halflifept

Try to run a antivirus. Otherwise just format a reinstall the operating system.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Run Task Manager and click the Processes tab, click CPU column to sort, find the program using most CPU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Run Task Manager and click the Processes tab, click CPU column to sort, find the program using most CPU

Thanks for the tips guys. I did this one but the colum list keeps moving which makes it impossible to get any to delete. Are there any programmes on my computer that I could delete? Maybe well known ones that just installed themselves that I could uninstall? Most of the memory seems to be getting used too. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Click the name column and they will stop moving. Then find the hog by scrolling down. Select Show Processes from All Users also

Ensure you don't have 2 antivirus progs running!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

download ccleaner and run it on cleanup and registry cleanup, repeat 2 to 3 times to get rid of all the junk.

Also right click on your hard drive in my computer and select properties, then disk cleanup. should help

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

make sure that there is a decent amount of space on your C drive ( or whatever drive windows is installed on)

Windows needs space for swap files and it runs like a pig if there isn't enough

There are also power settings that can speed up or slow down your computer depending on whether it's plugged in or not.
    Just search for power options and turn your battery settings to 100% if you don't care about the cost in battery life.

Go into your startup manager and disable everything that you don't need. http://www.howtogeek.com/74523/how-to-disable-startup-programs-in-windows/

Advertisement