Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Tablets and Styli?

Options
  • 16-03-2016 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I need to get a tablet with a focus on productivity related tasks (Notes, diagrams etc).

I loved the idea of the Note Tab with incorporated S Pen. It would seem that Samsung have moved away from with a view to pushing their Surface tab..

In your guys opinion, what tablet should I be going for that has has decent support for a stylus. I am also open to recommendations on decent apps.

Perhaps this should be a conversation about the best Stylus to use and what to avoid etc.

This is a last ditch attempt to get sorted via Android as opposed to jumping ship and getting an iPad mini.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I've posted a number of times here about my experiences with the Note Pro 12.2.

It's a fantastic device, but to get the best use out of it, I always recommend you buy the "proper" pen, and not use the stylus that comes with it.

However, it is showing it's age right now and I am gravitating towards the Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (though I haven't taken the plunge just yet until I read the reviews of the Samsung Windows tab).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭techguy

Hi Tom,

Interesting, I may look at them. I was really thinking of something Android based and with a maximum 10" display.

I've been running a Mac OS / Android for the last number of years and don't think there is room for Windows in there.

I guess my investigation should really shift to the best Stylus and drawing apps.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

techguy wrote: »
    I loved the idea of the Note Tab with incorporated S Pen. It would seem that Samsung have moved away from with a view to pushing their Surface tab..

Whaaaa? Note is Samsung, Surface is Microsoft....

If you're serious about drawing and productivity then you need a unit with a pen digitizer, not just a regular capacitive POS. AFAIK that instantly rules out 10".

iPad Pro
    Surface Book/Surface Pro3/4 (Windows)
    Note 12.2
    Vaio Canvas (Windows)

If you rule out windows its iPad Pro vs Note 12. See which you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭wandererz

I have been using a Samsung Note 10.1 2014 edition for a few years now.
    Also have a Galaxy Note 4.

In my opinion, nothing beats them currently. I use both of them on a daily basis for notes and technical ( IT network) diagrams.
    The speed of the Note 10.1 tablet is great. Combined with a 64GB micro SD card, i don't have any storage problems either.

I used to end up with partially used notepads everywhere and not being able to find the notes i needed. Now everything is stored on those devices. I also have a cloud synced folder that the notes get stored to, so if there's ever a disaster i have a backup.

No need to buy one new. You could pick one up on adverts or such for much less than full price.

Fantastic screen, great pen and the right size as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Tom Dunne wrote: »

It's a fantastic device, but to get the best use out of it, I always recommend you buy the "proper" pen, and not use the stylus that comes with it.

Whats this now?

• Advertisement

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Whats this now?

This: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005ZO9UMA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

Technically, it's a stylus holder, but feels like a proper pen and makes writing much smoother. I use it now on my Note 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    This: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005ZO9UMA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

Technically, it's a stylus holder, but feels like a proper pen and makes writing much smoother. I use it now on my Note 5.

Pricey!

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Pricey!

It wasn't that when I purchased it a few years ago - it was about 10 UK pounds at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

I use the Note 10.1 2014 edition. My main app is OneNote. It's brilliant being able to split the screen and take notes while watching a video.

Samsung have a current model of tablet with pen

I haven't tried it though. On paper it looks like a downgrade from the Note.
    http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=5677&idPhone2=7443&

Advertisement