Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing USB drive on android tv

Options
  • 16-03-2016 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

Am I being stupid or missing something here. I've got an android TV with a USB hard drive attached.
    Is it possible to share it on network so I can easily transfer files onto it from my laptop/PC?

Would make things so much easier than keep unplugging it to put on files!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

natively you can't do this. There should be apps that will allow it. I think ES Explorer does it but that app has become very bloated over the recent months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

nedd wrote: »
    natively you can't do this. There should be apps that will allow it. I think ES Explorer does it but that app has become very bloated over the recent months.

May look at attaching the drive to my sagemcom to my router then. Share it from there. I think last time I tried I couldn't get it to share.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

I have Minix X8-H Plus. It supports this functionality out of box. Basically you can map the Android storage as a Network drive in Windows. You can then copy / paste / navigate as if its a local drive.

ES Explorer:
    If you have a home network then Share a a folder from your laptop / pc. Keep the files there. Then from ES explore from Android box you can access the network location and move the files around. It works fine.

coldfire1x wrote: »
    I have Minix X8-H Plus. It supports this functionality out of box. Basically you can map the Android storage as a Network drive in Windows. You can then copy / paste / navigate as if its a local drive.

ES Explorer:
    If you have a home network then Share a a folder from your laptop / pc. Keep the files there. Then from ES explore from Android box you can access the network location and move the files around. It works fine.

Ok, I've a few options now. I can see my network shared laptop folders on the android TV, but when I go into the folder to access files it says I've no permission for access.
    I've the shared folder on windows 8 shared to everyone with read/write permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

snaps wrote: »
    Ok, I've a few options now. I can see my network shared laptop folders on the android TV, but when I go into the folder to access files it says I've no permission for access.
    I've the shared folder on windows 8 shared to everyone with read/write permission.

In ES you should map a network location and then enter the credentials you use to login to your computer(what you use when you turn it on) to enable access.

When you allow everyone on the PC that allows all users that PC knows about, probably just yourself. It doesnt make it fully public,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭dubrov

If you want to control the transfer from your pc, ftp is an option. There are plenty of free ftp server apps available on android and you can use filezilla on your pc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭dubrov

Also if you root the android box there is an app called samba share which will make it visible when browsing in windows

Ok,
    What ive done is mount the hard drive in my router. Everything can see it now, so i can FTP to it from my laptops, plus the TV can see it to play the media files, mainly through Kodi.

Advertisement