Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best home heating options

Options
  • 15-03-2016 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi,

I am purchasing a house, the heating is currently solid fuel and oil boiler. I have lived with solid fuel stove all my life and I am looking to get rid of it.

The house is a 4 bed bungalow. We are going to be adding an extension to the kitchen and when complete there will probably be 18 radiators to cover the home, I'll also be looking to heat the water also.

As I had been considering a wood pellet boiler I have posted here previously trying to find out some information (running costs, installation costs etc), however I didn't get a lot of info so I'm back to the drawing board.

If anyone could offer me any advice or information on the best and most economical home heating systems I'd greatly appreciate it. Gas is out as we're not on a gas line, so anything after that. I will be upgrading the boiler regardless so any information would be greatly appreciate it. I know oil at the moment is a great price but it's not going to stay that way forever.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭rpmcs

Hi
    I have no oil, just pellet stove heating rads.
    If you get a good pellet stove that has technical back up in ireland as a lot are Italian makes which are great but if an issue arises you need to be able to talk to someone or a service agent to call out to be familiar with diagnosis to identify fault
    But my one works great..very cheap to operate and maintain
    Gas could be possible with cylinders
    Not that expensive to my knowledge
    Give calor a ring and they would give u a good idea of cost

• Registered Users Posts: 44 DJDOO

rpmcs wrote: »
    Hi
    I have no oil, just pellet stove heating rads.
    If you get a good pellet stove that has technical back up in ireland as a lot are Italian makes which are great but if an issue arises you need to be able to talk to someone or a service agent to call out to be familiar with diagnosis to identify fault
    But my one works great..very cheap to operate and maintain
    Gas could be possible with cylinders
    Not that expensive to my knowledge
    Give calor a ring and they would give u a good idea of cost

Thanks for that, sorry is that a wood pellet boiler or stove? How many radiators do you heat off it? If you don't mind me asking the set up cost? Or roughly how much to run?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Arkady

a house needs two sources of heating in my opinion, so you can swap from one to the other as market prices change, or if one fails for a while. Something tried and tested, and make sure whatever you go with has a cheap, reliable, permanently available easy to obtain supply locally, from reliable suppliers, and the system itself is easy and cheap to repair by anyone local if needs be. Its not fashionable or trendy, but I find the solid fuel / oil option the best all rounder by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭rpmcs

Hi sorry had not seen your questions
    Yes its a stove which I feed with bagged pellets ..aprox 4-5 bags per week. At cost of 3.20 a bag. Empty ash should be done every 2 weeks but to be honest I would be near the month mark!
    I have 12 rads and cylinder.

Advertisement