Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co Wexford Guide to Townland in Catholic Parishes

Options
  • 15-03-2016 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭

Anybody researching Co. Wexford ancestors of the Catholic variety should be aware of the resources provided on the following site
    https://www.wexford.ie/wex/Departments/GIS/ParishMaps
    The various files list townlands by parish, and vice versa, and also provide detailed maps. Very useful indeed when you need to know which parish records to consult.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Excellent.

Let us hope that other counties / dioceses might do the same. For all I know, some may have already done so.

If other members know of same, perhaps they would let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bartleby101

Great resource and very timely as I'm trying to make sense of North Wexford and South Wicklow townlands & parishes.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Great resource and very timely as I'm trying to make sense of North Wexford and South Wicklow townlands & parishes.
    Cheers.

what area and timeframe are you interested in ?

I've linked the various civil parishes and Catholic Parishes based on Catholic Directories and Lewis, and also mapped any of the chapels I could find around Ireland, timeframe is late 1830s early 1840..

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bartleby101

I'm looking for Askamore & Brideswell, North Wexford in the period 1850-1900 Shane. Wondering whether Shillelagh as Barony covers this area also.
    By the way, just got re-acquainted with your wonderful site - the maps of Dublin through the ages are invaluable.
    Cheers,
    Bart

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

There are three townlands named Brideswell in Co. Wexford, one in the south in the barony of Bargy, Mulrankin civil parish between Wexford town and Kilmore, and the others, Brideswell Big and Brideswell Little in the north of the county in Carnew civil parish, barony of Scarawalsh located just south of Carnew, and close to the village of Askamore.

The RC parish Brideswell Big and Little in the 1830s and 40s would either have been Tomacork (aka Carnew & Crosspatrick) or Killrush (Kilrush and Askamore). There was, and still is, a chapel in Askamore that seems to have been shared between the two parishes

see : Brideswell Big & Little townlands (1st Ed. OSI, c1840)
    scroll to the west to see the chapel in Askamore.

p.s. the parish of Cranford/Camolin is also quite close..

• Advertisement
Advertisement