Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passat B7 1/6TDI EGR Valve

Options
  • 15-03-2016 5:31pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭

Was cruising along the M1 yesterday in my 2012 B7 Passat 1.6TDI and experienced a sudden loss of power and a flashing glow plug light on the dash. Got a mate's ODB reader connected and it threw up code P0407 - EGR Recirclation Sensor B Circuit Low

Rang the local VW garage and they went straight into talk of replacing the whole EGR at a cost of approx 950 euro.

Obviously it's outside of warranty but he said in some case by case basis there may be a goodwill cover by VW to help with the cost of repairs.

Anyone experience similar fault or have much luck with this goodwill effort?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

What mileage is on the car?

Those newer VW EGR valves are becoming an epidemic. If you get nowhere with the goodwill route you can save money by getting an independent garage to supply and fit a genuine VW part. That should set you back €700 or so and the part is still covered by the VW 2 year warranty even though it wasn't fitted by a dealer.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Yea a local garage is quoting 700. 3 Official garages are quoting between 900 and 1000 on top of varying diagnostic fees ranging from 70 to 110 but all three offered to attempt the goodwill route. I'm hoping the emissions scandal that remains unfixed on my car has them feeling generous.

Mileage on it is high but isn't outrageous - 130k kilometres.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Waterson

Does anybody know why these are failing so often? Is it the mechanical side or the position sensor?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Waterson wrote: »
    Does anybody know why these are failing so often? Is it the mechanical side or the position sensor?

Both.

OP I'd say with your car being 4 years old and with that mileage you have very little chance of getting anywhere with the goodwill claim.

We'll see next week. Have it booked in for the diagnostic.

• Advertisement

Goodwill came through for me nicely. Total repair cost is 290 for me. So works out around 700 goodwill from VW.

Lads in the VW garage that I eventually went with were a pleasure to deal with so far too.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Kingkong

Hi Shiverin;

I just got the exact same issue on my 1.6TDI VW Golf. Two Error codes P0407 / P046C which are EGR valve related. Can I ask which VW Dealership you went to?

Thanks
    Mark

Advertisement