Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pay as you go electricity

Options
  • 15-03-2016 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi folks,
    I have recently changed electricity providers from a token meter to another prepay power supplier.
    Everything was going fine until I received a bill from my original providers for 129 euro!!!
    I'm currently arguing with them as to how it is possible to owe them this much when I was in credit with my payg account.
    Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Hi folks,
    I have recently changed electricity providers from a token meter to another prepay power supplier.
    Everything was going fine until I received a bill from my original providers for 129 euro!!!
    I'm currently arguing with them as to how it is possible to owe them this much when I was in credit with my payg account.
    Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Whats the bill for? Did you exit a contract early?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

At a guess,
    - You broke a contract early
    - You've had alot of estimated bills and this was an actual reading showing correct usage so you've finally been billed correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

How can you be in debt using a PAYG meter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

"I received a bill from my original providers for 129 euro"
    I would guess the OP means previous provider.
    How can you be in debt using a PAYG meter?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Leaving a contract early most likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

RossieMan wrote: »
    Leaving a contract early most likely.

No contract on a token meter. How long was the gap between the token meter being removed and the smart meter being installed? Chances are its a bill for this period

If not there would have been a discrepancy between the amount used and the amount of tokens entered. Not uncommon with token meters unfortunately, notoriously unreliable things

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

No bills on a prepaid meter surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

RossieMan wrote: »
    No bills on a prepaid meter surely?

When the token meter is removed the property is put on billpay until the smart meter is installed.

ESB have to remove the token meter before any other supplier can do anything

• Registered Users Posts: 7 rockchick101

Hi folks,
    Finally got to the bottom of this issue after a long battle with the previous company.
    Their story was that the meter hadn't been updated since it was installed and that was where the amount had come from - when I asked why had it not been updated I was told it was my responsibility to update it!!!
    I replied that I don't know anything about electricity meters and surely that would be seen as tampering with a meter and the meter had been updated at least four or five times to my knowledge I.e actually seeing someone working on the meter - no access required as meter is accessible from driveway.
    The matter was referred to the ombudsman and all charges were cancelled because the company could not prove that I owed them anything in fact they owed me money back 😊
    No contract issues and the old meter was removed the same day that the new one was fitted and any bill pay for the time in-between was paid to the new company.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,037 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Good news, nice one!

Now do yourself a favour and switch from your prepay supplier to a bill pay one. You will save yourself a fortune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 rockchick101

unkel wrote: »
    Good news, nice one!

Now do yourself a favour and switch from your prepay supplier to a bill pay one. You will save yourself a fortune.

Thanks but I prefer prepay accounts - no bills to fret over 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 65,037 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Just sign up for the cheapest bill pay, making sure you select direct debit and electronic invoice. If you don't want to see the bill, just set their email address as junk :p

But seriously, it is costing you a lot of money to be prepaid. Would you not prefer to spend the extra money on going out / family holiday / new clothes, etc.?

Advertisement