Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ama Garden Ride on lawn mower won't start

Options
  • 15-03-2016 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

The lawn mower is a 2007 AMA Garden15.5 hp Briggs and Stratton engine. The father was cutting the grass on Sunday for the first time after the winter. The mower started fine and did around 3 minutes work before it cut out and would not start again. The mower was low on fuel over the winter but it wasn't let run out entirely. Would residue have built up in the carb from the petrol lying in it over the winter. I checked the spark plug for spark and it's fine. Does anyone have any experience with these carbs? I took it off the engine with the two imperial bolts holding it on and it doesn't appear to be delivering fuel. The spark plug isn't wet either. There's a solenoid on the bottom of the bowl that appears to be working correctly as it is clicking. Anyone any ideas. It would be greatly appreciated as I've hit a wall 😕

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 esbpgen

Hi Emmet. I have the same machine although mine is a couple of years older! I have come across the same issue several times when starting after winter and have found that the problem is with the battery! So although the battery is turning the engine and sounds fine it's actually not enough! I use a set of jump leads and start it from the car battery! I run the car engine as I would if jumping another car and so far it's worked!! Too be honest on the few years I haven't had to do this are those years I fitted a new battery on day 1.
    PS at 9 years old you should also look at the oil expansion tank on the back axle and refil! Google for instructions!

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭fox0512

The lawn mower is a 2007 AMA Garden15.5 hp Briggs and Stratton engine. The father was cutting the grass on Sunday for the first time after the winter. The mower started fine and did around 3 minutes work before it cut out and would not start again. The mower was low on fuel over the winter but it wasn't let run out entirely. Would residue have built up in the carb from the petrol lying in it over the winter. I checked the spark plug for spark and it's fine. Does anyone have any experience with these carbs? I took it off the engine with the two imperial bolts holding it on and it doesn't appear to be delivering fuel. The spark plug isn't wet either. There's a solenoid on the bottom of the bowl that appears to be working correctly as it is clicking. Anyone any ideas. It would be greatly appreciated as I've hit a wall 😕

Since it started in the first place I would assume batt is ok but you never know...Its sounds like a clogged petrol tank cap, dirty carb or it could be fuel solenoid going bad... you will hear the click as the stem drops down but it might not be staying down...a solenoid goin bad will cause the stem to creep back up and close off main fuel jet due to loss of magnetism ...but first clean fuel cap then drain any old fuel and add fresh...if no success remove and clean carb...one sign of a dirty carb will be the engine rpm will rise up and down, pulsing)

I would also do as previous poster suggested...some mowers will not run if batt is in bad shape

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Cteamer12today

AMA mower starts ok engine turns but since it threw the drive belt there is no forward drive have I refitted the belt correctly ? Can I get hold of a fitting guide?

Advertisement