Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brush suggestion

• 15-03-2016 1:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭

I have an Omega 6735 Barberpole brush. A nice brush but loosing alot of bristles so am looking for a replacement.

Looking for something badger, softish, and with decent volume.

Are the HL Thaters worth the cash? Or is there something else you'd recommend?

http://www.shaving.ie/products/hl-thater-black-2-band-fan-4125-1.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭nc6000

I've been using this one for a few years now and can't complain...

http://www.shaving.ie/products/hjm-by-muhle-pure-badger-black-shaving-brush.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

For a few quid more than what nc6000 is recommending I would always suggest this brush. I have one and it's fantastic. Much more backbone to it than the HJM (have one of them too) so it's great for face or bowl lathering.

As for the Thaters, they seem to be highly rated but I've not owned one to find out for myself. I will at some stage though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

L'occitan plisson.

It runs rings around any badger or boar brush I've ever tried. Hard soaps, soft soaps, creams, face lathering, bowl lathering it just does it all so well. My Semogues have been sitting in the press unused ever since I got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭nc6000

L'occitan plisson.

It runs rings around any badger or boar brush I've ever tried. Hard soaps, soft soaps, creams, face lathering, bowl lathering it just does it all so well. My Semogues have been sitting in the press unused ever since I got it.

Where can you buy this? Their website doesn't seem to have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

nc6000 wrote: »
    Where can you buy this? Their website doesn't seem to have it.

I bought mine in a L'Occitan shop last year.

Edit - found another source for them here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭skankles

Every collection should have a synthetic. I have a mühle black fibre, great lather nice & soft & it's on sale too!!
    http://www.shaving.ie/products/muhle-black-fibre-brush.html

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Gotham Knight

I have a range of brushes, including Simpson's badger, Thater badger, Shavemac badger, Semogue boar and Semogue boar/badger mix. They are all good brushes and they work well. But I have found that they are all outperformed by synthetic brushes that I have bought over the past two years.

I highly recommend brushes using the Plisson-type knot, including the one from L'Occitane and the originals from Plisson (I think this one is the best value). I also really like the Fine Accoutrements synthetic ('Angel hair') knot in the smaller 20mm size. And I also have a Muhle silvertip fibre bush which is good but not as pliable on the face as the Plisson knots, and I have the Muhle black fibre, which I don't enjoy as much since the handle is very heavy and the fibres are very soft/pliable and the combination doesn't work so well for me.

Having spent a lot of cash on all of these I strongly recommend the synthetic knots to anyone buying a brush. They simply work better, don't lose any hair and cost less than the natural hair brushes. In my opinion of course, and I understand that some people prefer natural hair, which is fine.

Hope this is useful ;-)

Advertisement